Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Barry Kaplan <gr...@memelet.com> on 2011/04/08 19:00:47 UTC

FYI, JmsEndpoint.consumerType removed but still in docs

I see it was removed in revision 1067441. Yet the web site docs still how it
as an option. Also I could not find any indication in the release notes that
it was removed and why.

Reinstating JMS SimpleMessageListenerContainer

Posted by Joshua Watkins <jo...@gamesys.co.uk>.
A while ago there was a discussion topic that the
SimpleMessageListenerContainer/ConsumerType.Simple was removed from
camel-jms as it was deprecated. However from looking at the latest Spring
docs (
http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/3.1.0.M1/javadoc-api/org/springf
ramework/jms/listener/SimpleMessageListenerContainer.html ) it is alive
and kicking.

Is there another reason that this feature was removed?

The reason I am so keen on the SimpleMessageListenerContainer is that the
DefaultMessageListenerContainer does not allow you to constrain the number
of threads used in a useful way. If you give it a task executor with a
maximum 5 threads and want to listen on 10 routes, only 5 of those routes
would be consumed from. There is even a note about this fact in the docs (
http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/3.1.0.M1/javadoc-api/org/springf
ramework/jms/listener/DefaultMessageListenerContainer.html#setTaskExecutor(
java.util.concurrent.Executor) ). This makes the
SimpleMessageListenerContainer invaluable for scaling out an application
using camel-jms.

-josh

Re: FYI, JmsEndpoint.consumerType removed but still in docs

Posted by Joshua Watkins <jo...@gamesys.co.uk>.
Hadrian,

I don't see that the SimpleMessageListenerContainer is deprecated in
3.0.5_RELEASE
(http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/3.0.5.RELEASE/javadoc-api/org/s
pringframework/jms/listener/SimpleMessageListenerContainer.html).

The reason I bring this up is that when using the
DefaultMessageListenerContainer (which JmsMessageListenerContainer
extends) a new listener thread is created for every JMS consumer route in
camel. However utilizing the SimpleMessageListenerContainer and a thread
pool bounds the number of threads created.

-josh

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Hi Barry,