Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net> on 2018/01/07 10:02:44 UTC

Parent POM and automatic module name

Hello everybody,

just noticed that Parent POM 43 does not seem to set the automatic
module name in the jar manifest.

Did I miss something you did we just forget to add the required
maven-jar-plugin configuration?

-Pascal

Re: Parent POM and automatic module name

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Might be sensible to add a note to the parent pom to say why it does
not have the feature.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 12:30:19 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> This seems a lot more effort than just adding something to the
> pom.xml
> in the child project.

Yes, but is there a possibility that this "automatic name"
addition should be be removed in the future (and replaced
by ...)?
If so, having a file in the top directory is a "TODO" reminder.

[Sorry I do not know the detail of the requirement(s).]

Regards,
Gilles

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 9 January 2018 at 12:30, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org> wrote:
> This seems a lot more effort than just adding something to the pom.xml
> in the child project.
> Stephen

Agreed; it could be something as simple as a property define.

Note that if it is a file, then it needs to be added to the source
archive but ideally not the binary archive.

This is already true of pom.xml

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org>.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hi.

Posted by Chas Honton <ch...@honton.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 8 January 2018 at 00:25, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Sun, 07 Jan 2018 12:04:16 +0100 schrieb Pascal Schumacher:
>
>> Am 07.01.2018 um 11:10 schrieb Stefan Bodewig:
>>> My memory (which is old and failing frequently) claims we didn't want
>>> to put it into the parent as not all components can use automatic
>>> module names (net hasn't got a single package root IIRC) and so
>>> wewanted to leave it to the individual components.
>>
>> Thanks! Your memory is correct. As I understand it the feature was not
>> added because no way was found to make it opt-in for the modules. see:
>>
>> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201706.mbox/%3C7A329A04-
> ABE8-47B8-9981-161229CE6BCB%40apache.org%3E
>>
>> The component poms I checked all include a comment like "Temporary fix,
>> remove this after this has implemented in parent pom". As these comments
>> are not true anymore I will remove those I find.
>
> It is possible to define a profile in parent and trigger it as opt-in based on the existence of a file.
>
> Do we have any precedence for triggering profiles based on file existence in commons? Typical name
> patterns used are:
>  - profile/<name>
>  - profiles/<name>
>  - <name>.profile

Yes, e.g. jacoco

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2018-01-07, Pascal Schumacher wrote:

> Hello everybody,

> just noticed that Parent POM 43 does not seem to set the automatic
> module name in the jar manifest.

> Did I miss something you did we just forget to add the required
> maven-jar-plugin configuration?

My memory (which is old and failing frequently) claims we didn't want to
put it into the parent as not all components can use automatic module
names (net hasn't got a single package root IIRC) and so wewanted to
leave it to the individual components.

Stefan