Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Charlie Smith <Sm...@ldschurch.org> on 2004/06/29 18:43:01 UTC

[mp1] session variables - how to use?

What is recommended way to get/set session variables?  Is there a recommended
package to use with
examples please?

Currently am using Apache/1.3.28 (Unix) mod_perl/1.28 PHP/4.3.1 mod_ssl/2.8.15
OpenSSL/0.9.7d
but plan on moving to Apache 2 at some time.

Charlie ;)

"Postmaster" made the following annotations.

RE: [mp1] session variables - how to use?

Posted by Clayton Cottingham <dr...@telus.net>.
here is a test script i created to understand the basics, everyone feel free
to rip it apart, through mistakes we learn

:)

<<<:code:>>>
#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use Apache::Session::MySQL;
use CGI;
=cut
SYNOPSIS
        #make a fresh session for a first-time visitor
      tie %session, 'Apache::Session::MySQL';
      #stick some stuff in it
      $session{visa_number} = "1234 5678 9876 5432";
        #get the session id for later use
      my $id = $session{_session_id};
        #get the session data back out again during some other request
      my %session;
      tie %session, 'Apache::Session::MySQL', $id;
        &validate($session{visa_number});
        #delete a session from the object store permanently
      tied(%session)->delete;
=cut

my $driver="mysql";
my $dbname="session";
my $host="127.0.0.1";
my $user="user";
my $password="password";
my $dbh = DBI->connect(
"dbi:$driver(PrintError=>1,RaiseError=>1,Taint=>1):dbname=$dbname;host=$host
", $user, $password	) or die $!;

my $q=CGI->new;
my $id=$q->param('get_id');
my $visa_number=$q->param('visa_number');

tie my %hash, 'Apache::Session::MySQL',$id , {Handle =>
$dbh,LockHandle=>$dbh};
if (!$id && $visa_number){
$hash{visa_number}=$visa_number;
}
$dbh->disconnect;

use Data::Dumper;
print Data::Dumper->Dump([%hash]);

i dont know if this is too relevant but i posted this on perlmonks.org:

this node contains a bit of instruction on how to check for expired sessions