Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Simon Kitching <sk...@gfg-group.com> on 2006/06/14 01:10:04 UTC

License query for jstl.jar

Hi,

File jstl.jar has been checked in here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/servletapi/servlet2.4-jsp2.0-tc5.x/js
r152/examples/WEB-INF/lib/
and here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/webapps/examples/WEB-IN
F/lib/

This jar is used for running example code in Tomcat.

However it isn't clear to me whether the license for this jar in fact allows
this to be checked in.
The jar has
  Implementation-Vendor: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
and
  Implementation-Version: 1.1.0-D13

As it happens, the Apache Taglibs project's JSTL also happens to insert
  Implementation-Vendor: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
in its builds :-(. However as far as I can tell it doesn't generate an
Implementation-Version entry like the above, so presumably this jarfile is
in fact a real Sun jar. If this is indeed the case, then does Apache
actually have the legal right to directly redistribute this jarfile?

The svn commit that added this jar doesn't state where the file was sourced
from:
<quote>
r267015 | kinman | 2002-10-29 06:45:44 +1300 (Tue, 29 Oct 2002) | 26 lines

- Patch by Jan Leuhe

attached is a patch for the jakarta-servletapi-5 repository including
the following changes:

- TagVariableInfo.java:
  * Removed constructor that takes the name of a fragment.
  * Removed getFragment().
  * Removed private field "fragment".

- JspFragment.java:
  * Removed Map parameter from invoke().

- Updated the "simpletag" and "tagfiles" examples accordingly.

Please notice that the patch also requires adding JSTL to the
examples.war webapp. This is required because this webapp's tag files
need to use JSTL's <c:set> action to set scoped variables before
fragment invocations, now that <jsp:invoke> and <jsp:doBody> no longer
have a nested <jsp:param>.

PR:
Obtained from:
Submitted by:
Reviewed by:
</quote>

Regards,

Simon

RE: License query for jstl.jar

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@gfg-group.com>.

Yep, sorry. Had too many windows open :-;

This is a more appropriate example - still has that valid Apache license:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/taglibs/proper/standard/trunk/src/ja
vax/servlet/jsp/jstl/core/ConditionalTagSupport.java

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Simon Kitching wrote:
> Actually, every file I've looked at in the jakarta taglibs project DOES have
> the standard ASL2.0 licensing embedded in it, and in addition they all
> contain an Apache Foundation copyright statement:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/servletapi/servlet2.4-jsp2.0-tc5.x/js
> r152/src/share/javax/servlet/jsp/ErrorData.java

My apologies, I had forgotten these files carried that licence.
However, I am confused. This file is part of the servlet spec, it is
nothing to do with the Jakarta taglibs which is where this discussion
started.

I have never seen a clear explanation of the relationship between the
Servlet Expert Group, this repository and Sun's 'official' jar. To be
honest, I haven't particularly gone looking for one. If you find one,
let me know.

>> You might want to try the legal-discuss@a.o list.
>
> Yes, I'll do that. I'm personally quite confident there aren't any licensing
> problems; however I'm not so confident it actually *says* so anywhere...

Or the taglibs sub-project.

Mark

RE: License query for jstl.jar

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@gfg-group.com>.

Understood; I'm grateful for your comments anyway..

> Simon Kitching wrote:
> > Unfortunately, in order to satisfy both my companies'
> lawyers and the
> > client's lawyers I think I would need to show that this jar
> is indeed
> > built from ASL-licensed code.
>
> This is *not* ASL licenced code.

Actually, every file I've looked at in the jakarta taglibs project DOES have
the standard ASL2.0 licensing embedded in it, and in addition they all
contain an Apache Foundation copyright statement:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/servletapi/servlet2.4-jsp2.0-tc5.x/js
r152/src/share/javax/servlet/jsp/ErrorData.java

Of course the license statement is the key to making the code "open source",
but the copyright assignment is a bonus.

> > Does anyone have a link to a page from Sun that shows that
> they did in
> > fact use the Apache code base to create this jar? Neither
> the Sun JSTL home page:
> > http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/jstl
>
> The
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/servletapi/servlet2.4-j
> sp2.0-tc5.x/
> codebase is *not* an Apache codebase. Think of it as Apache
> providing hosting services for the expert group.

By "Apache code base" I simply mean that the code is licensed under the
ASL2.0.

All the code in the jakarta taglibs standard lib project certainly is, and
I'm pretty sure that it is ASF policy that only ASL-licensed files can be
stored in apache svn or served from apache download sites. I've been
involved with Apache for many years now, and am not aware of any cases to
the contrary.

The problem I have here is that it isn't clear that the jarfile checked in
to tomcat's svn is actually built from the ASL-licensed source in the
jakarta taglibs project. If someone could point me at a Sun webpage that
says "Click here to download the reference implementation of jstl-1.0.1.jar
or visit jakarta.apache.org/taglibs to download the source" then that would
be the key. Unfortunately I just can't find any such page. That's my problem
of course, but any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

> You might want to try the legal-discuss@a.o list.

Yes, I'll do that. I'm personally quite confident there aren't any licensing
problems; however I'm not so confident it actually *says* so anywhere...

Cheers,

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
IANAL...

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@gfg-group.com>.

nor the JSR052 page:
  http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr052/index2.html
have any such statement.

The Jakarta Taglibs project page does say so, but as the
Implementation-Vendor in the binary file is Sun I don't think this carries
much weight..

Thanks,

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.