Posted to qa@openoffice.apache.org by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID> on 2021/02/11 08:03:17 UTC

Duplicate bugs: shall we follow strict chronological order?

Dear All,

I want to mark some duplicate bugs and I have a question.

Suppose the bugs are numbered 2, 4, and 6.  I have been working on
number 4, because I did not know about number 2.  For this reason,
number 4 has more comments on BugZilla and my GitHub PR refers to it.

I will declare that no. 6 is a duplicate, because it was reported
afterwards.

Can I indicate that no. 2 is a duplicate of no. 4 even if it was
reported before, although according to a strict time-based logic it
should be the opposite (i.e. that no. 4 is a duplicate of no. 2)?

The reason I believe it would be better to flag no. 2 as duplicated of
no. 4 is because report no. 4 contains much more data about the
problem and IMHO it should ``stand out'' with respect to the others.

Thank you in advance for your guidance,
--
Arrigo

http://rigo.altervista.org

Re: Duplicate bugs: shall we follow strict chronological order?

Posted by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID>.
On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 09:46:03AM +0100, Marcus wrote:

> Am 11.02.21 um 09:03 schrieb Arrigo Marchiori:
> > I want to mark some duplicate bugs and I have a question.
>
> for your example, see comments inline.
>
> > Suppose the bugs are numbered 2, 4, and 6.  I have been working on
> > number 4, because I did not know about number 2.  For this reason,
> > number 4 has more comments on BugZilla and my GitHub PR refers to it.
> >
> > I will declare that no. 6 is a duplicate, because it was reported
> > afterwards.
>
> yes
>
> > Can I indicate that no. 2 is a duplicate of no. 4 even if it was
> > reported before, although according to a strict time-based logic it
> > should be the opposite (i.e. that no. 4 is a duplicate of no. 2)?
>
> Yes
>
> > The reason I believe it would be better to flag no. 2 as duplicated of
> > no. 4 is because report no. 4 contains much more data about the
> > problem and IMHO it should ``stand out'' with respect to the others.
>
> +1
>
> In general:
>
> Following the chronological order is the right thing. This means the oldest
> issue will remain when all others are decribing the same problem.
>
> Exceptions (of course ;-)):
>
> The respective issue should survive when:
> - it has the most helpful comments
> - it already has a doc to reproduce the problem
> - it has already a reference to SVN / Git / GitHub ...
> - it has the most votes, or links to "see also" issues
> - it has in general most helpful data.
>
> That means chronological yes, but maybe it makes sense to use another issue
> when it is more helpful and then close all others as duplicate.
>
> > Thank you in advance for your guidance,
>
> I hope this is helpful for you.
> That's the way I'm doing it.

Very helpful! Thank you.

Best regards,

Posted by Czesław Wolański <cz...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arrigo, Marcus,

@Arrigo
Thanks for bringing this up.

@Marcus
Thank you for this extensive explanation.
It will surely help me a lot in my bug hunting tusks - ykwim. ;‑)

"Exception that proves the rule".

Regards,
Czesław

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 11.02.21 um 09:03 schrieb Arrigo Marchiori:
> I want to mark some duplicate bugs and I have a question.

for your example, see comments inline.

> Suppose the bugs are numbered 2, 4, and 6.  I have been working on
> number 4, because I did not know about number 2.  For this reason,
> number 4 has more comments on BugZilla and my GitHub PR refers to it.
>
> I will declare that no. 6 is a duplicate, because it was reported
> afterwards.

yes