Posted to user@poi.apache.org by adidesi <ad...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/19 20:30:35 UTC

Corrupt xlsx generating by poi 4.1.1 with no exception but Core xml and rels is empty

We are upgrading apache poi from 3.7 to 4.1.1. We tried 4.0.0 it was giving
same issue.
We are generating a simple vanilla excel file. Which the 3.7 generates fine
on local and server. We upgraded to newer version and the file is generating
with some minor changes in styles viz borders, fonts etc is generating fine
in local. While the same file is not generating on the server. I tried
unzipping the xlsx and found the worksheet is generated fine with styles and
app xml.
Though core.xml, content_types.xml and rels files are empty. And by empty I
mean 0bytes empty. The files are created but nothing in them. This is not
the case in local and file is generating fine.

I upgraded the dependencies eg xmlbeans to proper version 3.0.1 for 4.0.0
and 3.1.0 for 4.1.1 but the issue persists in server only.

The xlsx file is generating , but shows corrupt , guessing due to lack of
required core and content_types xmls and rels file. Though no error or
exception is logged

We are using ibm websphere 8.5 in the server and corresponding java run
time. I couldn't enable logging in the server as we are using log4j and the
log4j config was in xml format and couldn't find how to do to it in xml
config.

Some direction or help will be much appreciated

Thanks

Re: Corrupt xlsx generating by poi 4.1.1 with no exception but Core xml and rels is empty

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

this seems to be some invalid or conflicting third-party libraries
dependency in your environment.

You can check differences in dependencies via maven-central, e.g.
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.poi/poi-ooxml/3.17 and
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.poi/poi-ooxml/4.0.0

One notable difference is that POI 4.x introduced a dependency on
commons-compress, maybe you have a very outdated version of this library in
your application?

Otherwise you will need to narrow down the test-case that works on your
local machine and fails on your server until you know which difference
causes it. There might be a number of factors, it is hard to say without
being able to take a direct look which one is exactly causing this here.

Dominik.

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Sounds hard to reproduce with only this information as it seems to be
caused by some infrastructure thing, e.g. IBM JDK or running inside
WebSphere, can you narrow down the problem a bit more, e.g. by running it
locally with the JDK that is bundled with WebSphere? Which exact
JDK-version is this?

Also a full code-snippet which reproduces the problem would be good.

Thanks... Dominik.