Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by "Cleveland, Michael" <Mi...@breadfinancial.com> on 2022/06/02 14:16:41 UTC

Log4j 1.2 update timeline?

Good morning,

I was wondering if there was a timeline when the version of Log4j will be updated when using Kafka?

Thank you,
Michael Cleveland

The information contained in this e-mail message and any attachments may be privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachments from your computer.

Re: Log4j 1.2 update timeline?

Posted by Tom Bentley <tb...@redhat.com>.
Hi Michael,

KIP-653 seeks to update the log4jv1 dependency to log4jv2. Following a
discussion a month or so ago [1] I think the plan is to do this in Kafka
4.0. The discussion for KIP-833 [2] suggests we'll see Kafka 3.5 followed
by Kafka 4.0, which should be around August 2023 (assuming we stick to the
usual time-based releases).

If you're asking for log4shell reasons, Kafka 3.2.0 and 3.1.1 use reload4j
instead of the original log4jv1 implementation.

Hopefully this answers your question.

Kind regards,

Tom

[1]: https://lists.apache.org/thread/qo1y3249xldt4cpg6r8zkcq5m1q32bf1
[2]: https://lists.apache.org/thread/90zkqvmmw3y8j6tkgbg3md78m7hs4yn6

Re: Log4j 1.2 update timeline?

Posted by "Cleveland, Michael" <Mi...@breadfinancial.com>.
Any word on this timeline by chance?

Michael Cleveland (He/Him/His)
Senior Mac Support Engineer, Engineering
Working from Syracuse, New York
Office: (516) 600-0927
BreadFinancial.com<https://www.BreadFinancial.com>
Alliance Data is now Bread Financial