Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by mclovis <mc...@mindbridge.com> on 2007/12/12 15:24:30 UTC

Mina 1 vs Mina 2 current

We currently have  NIO server code working based on our own current design.
Looking at the Mina code we feel we could simplify things somewhat by
switching to Mina. We are also currently in a refactoring phase. That being
said it looks like you will release Mina2 -M1 soon and have promised GA by
summer. In your opinion, could we refactor to Mina1 for production quality
and later upgrade with some changes to Mina2 , or wait to M2. If we are
going to refactor using Mina in the near future, now is the time for us. I
am posting this trying gain some understanding of Mina1 to Mina2 features as
well as compatibility. Any insights will be appreciated.

Re: Mina 1 vs Mina 2 current

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
We currently are doing our best to stablize our API before we reach
the first RC.  The API is pretty stable even now, but we will have to
see what new requirements kick in.  Anyhow, the API change won't be
massive enough to make anyone get screwed up.

So, if you are under way of refactoring a project, I'd suggest you to
try the trunk.

HTH,
Trustin

http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP Key ID: 0x0255ECA6

Re: Mina 1 vs Mina 2 current

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.
I am a committer and would suggest the trunk.  While there has been alot of
work lately (mostly the good work by Trustin), I have a great deal of
confidence in the trunk and its ability to properly serve the community.

--
--------------------------------
The adjuration to be "normal" seems shockingly repellent to me; I see

Re: Mina 1 vs Mina 2 current

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.
part of the reason I joined was to help with documentation.  I will
volunteer and start a new thread on this topic.

--
--------------------------------

Re: Mina 1 vs Mina 2 current

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mina 1 vs Mina 2 current

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.

--
--------------------------------

Re: Mina 1 vs Mina 2 current

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.

http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP Key ID: 0x0255ECA6

Re: Mina 1 vs Mina 2 current

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@skife.org>.

Re: Mina 1 vs Mina 2 current

Posted by Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org>.

Re: Mina 1 vs Mina 2 current

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 12, 2007 8:47 PM, mclovis <mc...@mindbridge.com> wrote:

> mclovis wrote:
> >

> If there are any code committers  following this thread any insights from
> them would also be appreciated.

For your information:  everyone that replied to this thread until now IS a
committer on the project
so I hope that gives you some confidence :-)

see http://mina.apache.org/contributors.html

Re: Mina 1 vs Mina 2 current

Posted by mclovis <mc...@mindbridge.com>.

Re: Mina 1 vs Mina 2 current

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.
For my product, I am using the 2.x code because I feel that there are enough
of a difference that I do not want to have to change code once 2.x is
relesed.  Plus this allows us to familiarize ourselves with one version
instead of 2.

--
--------------------------------

Re: Mina 1 vs Mina 2 current

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mina 1 vs Mina 2 current

Posted by "Steve Ulrich (proemion)" <st...@proemion.com>.
Hi!

we're using mina 2.x too and it is very stable. API changes from time to
time slightly, but most of this changes are cosmetic changes to harmonize
and clear out the API, so there's no need redesign your application, just a
bit cleanup or refactoring (which should be done regulary, though).
Just one thing: Even if it has good qualitiy, it remains development code.
So sometimes there are revisions in the vcs where something isn't working
right. So if you update your mina version, check if everything is working!
If it is not, stay with the old revision and try again later, perhaps
someone just commited the half of a change.
And ensure that all your developers work with same revision.

regards from Germany,

Steve