Posted to dev@kylin.apache.org by Li Yang <li...@apache.org> on 2016/11/18 08:18:35 UTC

[DISCUSS] Naming convention for config files and properties

Hi

The kylin config files and properties lack of a naming convention at the
moment. The result is messy. I want to establish a convention, start by
throwing out a proposal and getting your feedback.

There is no right or wrong convention. People's preference varies and that
is fine. However to work as a team, consistency is required. So let's
compromise where possible.

*File Name Convention*

Proposal: *words-separated-by-dash.ext*  (all chars in lower case)

Rationale: Be consistent with hadoop config file names, i.e. hdfs-site.xml

Good example: kylin-server-log4j.properties
Bad example: kylin_hive_conf.xml   (should be kylin-hive-conf.xml)

*Property Name Convention*

Proposal: *dot.separated.namespace.config-name-separated-by-dash*  (all
chars in lower case)

Rationale: The dot separated prefix is for namespace, like java packages.
The last level is like class name, but in lower case and separated by dash.
The result is consistent with common hadoop config names, i.e.
dfs.namenode.servicerpc-bind-host

Good example: kylin.metadata.url, kylin.storage.url
Bad example: kylin.job.mapreduce.mapper.input.rows  (should be
kyiln.job.mapreduce.mapper-input-rows)
Bad example: kylin.cube.dimension.customEncodingFactories  (should be
kylin.cube.dimension.custom-encoding-factories)

Please share your thoughts. Want to have a consensus with the majority
first, then comes to implementation.

Cheers
Yang

回复:[DISCUSS] Naming convention for config files and properties

Posted by 康凯森 <ka...@qq.com>.
+1. the consistent convention is important.

Re: 答复: [DISCUSS] Naming convention for config files and properties

Posted by ShaoFeng Shi <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi yang, will change the name of existing config files?

--
Best regards,

Shaofeng Shi 史少锋

Re: 答复: [DISCUSS] Naming convention for config files and properties

Posted by Li Yang <li...@apache.org>.
Thank you guys for all the support. I'll take this task forward in
KYLIN-2195 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KYLIN-2195>.

@Shaofeng
> will change the name of existing config files?
Yes, I plan to.

Btw, I prepared a tool to map the old config names to the new ones (ref
BackwardCompatibilityConfig). Check it out if you are interested.

Cheers
Yang

Posted by "Billy(Yiming) Liu" <li...@gmail.com>.
+1.

--
With Warm regards

Yiming Liu (刘一鸣)

答复: [DISCUSS] Naming convention for config files and properties

Posted by roger shi <ro...@hotmail.com>.
Nice proposal, +1.

________________________________

Posted by Li Yang <li...@apache.org>.
Thank you Yerui & Dayue!

Posted by Dayue <da...@163.com>.
Nice proposal, +1.

Posted by Yerui Sun <su...@gmail.com>.
Great proposal and basically agreed with.

Just one question, how to decide the package name of property name?
For example, ‘kylin.job’ and ‘kylin.job.mapreduce’ both looks fine, which one should be use, the longer one?

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.
+1 that will help a lot for ops

Get Outlook for iOS

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 5:03 PM +0800, "hongbin ma" <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

+1

config entry names could deliver clearer messages to the administrators if
well named.

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Li Yang  wrote:

> Hi
>
> The kylin config files and properties lack of a naming convention at the
> moment. The result is messy. I want to establish a convention, start by
> throwing out a proposal and getting your feedback.
>
> There is no right or wrong convention. People's preference varies and that
> is fine. However to work as a team, consistency is required. So let's
> compromise where possible.
>
> *File Name Convention*
>
> Proposal: *words-separated-by-dash.ext*  (all chars in lower case)
>
> Rationale: Be consistent with hadoop config file names, i.e. hdfs-site.xml
>
> Good example: kylin-server-log4j.properties
> Bad example: kylin_hive_conf.xml   (should be kylin-hive-conf.xml)
>
> *Property Name Convention*
>
> Proposal: *dot.separated.namespace.config-name-separated-by-dash*  (all
> chars in lower case)
>
> Rationale: The dot separated prefix is for namespace, like java packages.
> The last level is like class name, but in lower case and separated by dash.
> The result is consistent with common hadoop config names, i.e.
> dfs.namenode.servicerpc-bind-host
>
> Good example: kylin.metadata.url, kylin.storage.url
> Bad example: kylin.job.mapreduce.mapper.input.rows  (should be
> kyiln.job.mapreduce.mapper-input-rows)
> Bad example: kylin.cube.dimension.customEncodingFactories  (should be
> kylin.cube.dimension.custom-encoding-factories)
>
> Please share your thoughts. Want to have a consensus with the majority
> first, then comes to implementation.
>

> Cheers
> Yang

*Bin Mahone | 马洪宾*

Re: [DISCUSS] Naming convention for config files and properties

Posted by hongbin ma <ma...@apache.org>.
+1

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Li Yang <li...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> The kylin config files and properties lack of a naming convention at the
> moment. The result is messy. I want to establish a convention, start by
> throwing out a proposal and getting your feedback.
>
> There is no right or wrong convention. People's preference varies and that
> is fine. However to work as a team, consistency is required. So let's
> compromise where possible.
>
> *File Name Convention*
>
> Proposal: *words-separated-by-dash.ext*  (all chars in lower case)
>
> Rationale: Be consistent with hadoop config file names, i.e. hdfs-site.xml
>
> Good example: kylin-server-log4j.properties
> Bad example: kylin_hive_conf.xml   (should be kylin-hive-conf.xml)
>
> *Property Name Convention*
>
> Proposal: *dot.separated.namespace.config-name-separated-by-dash*  (all
> chars in lower case)
>
> Rationale: The dot separated prefix is for namespace, like java packages.
> The last level is like class name, but in lower case and separated by dash.
> The result is consistent with common hadoop config names, i.e.
> dfs.namenode.servicerpc-bind-host
>
> Good example: kylin.metadata.url, kylin.storage.url
> Bad example: kylin.job.mapreduce.mapper.input.rows  (should be
> kyiln.job.mapreduce.mapper-input-rows)
> Bad example: kylin.cube.dimension.customEncodingFactories  (should be
> kylin.cube.dimension.custom-encoding-factories)
>
> Please share your thoughts. Want to have a consensus with the majority
> first, then comes to implementation.
>

> Cheers
> Yang

*Bin Mahone | 马洪宾*