Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by karan malhi <ka...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/01 16:32:00 UTC

deprecated methods , javadocs

Do we need to add javadoc comments in classes?
How to deal with deprecated classes,methods and constructors? My guess
is that we should not care whether something is deprecated or not. We
would still need that stuff for backward compatibility. However, I still
would like to know if we need to keep certain rules/guidelines in mind
when implementing deprecated stuff.

--
Karan Singh

Re: deprecated methods , javadocs

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
Well, I'm volunteering then to provide a patch for Harmony classes.
I'll open a JIRA issue

Thanks,
Mikhail

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Sure -- just mark as @deprecated, but as noted elsewhere they have to be
fully implemented (they are still API afterall).

Regards,
Tim

Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> Why not? It looks reasonable.
>
> 2006/3/1, Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>:
>> So, are we going to mark deprecated stuff?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mikhail
>
> --
> Alexey A. Petrenko
> Intel Middleware Products Division

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: deprecated methods , javadocs

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
Why not? It looks reasonable.

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.

Posted by karan malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
My first answer was "no!", but I think I don't know what you mean by
"match exactly".

We want any javadoc for javax.* classes to have a pointer to the sun
javadoc (so it's clear we aren't trying to reproduce the spec) and have
information about *our* implementation, clarifications, how we
interpreted the spec, etc.

Repeating the sun javadoc makes no sense.

As for org.apache.*, that will probably be richer and more basically
descriptive...

geir

Posted by karan malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.