Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Boris Zhu <zh...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/11 13:38:26 UTC

[Discussion] Whether to cache results in client?

Hi,

The client get results by rows instead of columns. So   it's difficult to
align results in one displayed table because we don't know the longest
result in one column. The original method is to set a very long fixed
length for a column. Obviously, the above method will cause unnecessary
spaces. I want to cache results in a client, and do you have another way?

best wishes
Boris

Re: [Discussion] Whether to cache results in client?

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

if it is just for CLI, it is ok. but be cautious that do not out of memory.
And do not do it in JDBC or thrift client module.

in my opinion, we can cache some lines (e.g., 100lines), calculate the
suitable blank space, and print the 100 lines,
and then cache another 100 lines... Different loop may lead to a
misaligned tab, but sounds it does not matter (you can even print the table
header once again if a misaligned tab happens).

Best,
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

 黄向东