Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Pedro Figueiredo <pf...@89clouds.com> on 2012/10/31 15:59:40 UTC

Field mapping with the Avro SerDe

Hi,

I'm working with some Avro data where a member of a struct has unfortunately been named 'data', which is a reserved keyword. It's therefore impossible, to my knowledge, to do a select on this.

Is there a way to remap fields, like the JSON SerDe[0] does? Or is there a workaround for this (other than changing the Avro schema upstream) ? I'm running Hive 0.8.1 in CDH3, with the haivvreo[1] SerDe..

[0]: https://github.com/rathboma/Hive-JSON-Serde-1
[1]: https://github.com/jghoman/haivvreo

Thank you in advance,

Pedro

Re: Field mapping with the Avro SerDe

Posted by Pedro Figueiredo <pf...@89clouds.com>.
On 31 Oct 2012, at 15:19, Dean Wampler <de...@thinkbiganalytics.com> wrote:

> I had no idea if the following hack would work or not, but it's used in the Scala language for similar purposes:
>
> Put the word data in left-hand ("back") quotes, e.g.,  `data`. For example
>
> create table toss (`data` string);

And indeed like in SQL. So SELECT mystruct.`data` works perfectly. And even mystruct.`data`["foo"].

Thank you so much!

Re: Field mapping with the Avro SerDe

Posted by Dean Wampler <de...@thinkbiganalytics.com>.
I had no idea if the following hack would work or not, but it's used in the
Scala language for similar purposes:

Put the word data in left-hand ("back") quotes, e.g.,  `data`. For example

create table toss (`data` string);

It works!!

dean

--