Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Marko Rodriguez <ok...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/14 15:18:40 UTC

The Great Purge of TinkerPop 3.3.0

Hello,

Over the last ~3 years of development on TinkerPop3, the code has gone down both good and bad paths. For the bad paths, we maintain a deprecation procedure that we follow to ensure such dead ends are removed over time and do not remain lingering indefinitely in the codebase. TinkerPop 3.3.0 can be seen as "The Great Purge" in which we have aggressively tackled all the @Deprecated code in the code base. You can see the intensity of this effort in our release notes:

	https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/blob/master/docs/src/upgrade/release-3.3.x.asciidoc#deprecation-removal <https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/blob/master/docs/src/upgrade/release-3.3.x.asciidoc#deprecation-removal>

In sum total, including both The Great Purge and the major developments in TinkerPop 3.3.0 such as GraphSON 3.0, Gryo 3.0, and Gremlin-C#, we have closed over 100 tickets for this upcoming release. A tidy home is a tidy mind.

As we stabilize TinkerPop3 for its remaining life, we keep only that which is “good” and will borrow and expand upon only that which is “great” as we begin the initial experimental & exploratory phases of the path towards TinkerPop4.

Take care,
Marko.

http://markorodriguez.com