Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by "michael.griggs" <mi...@gridgain.com> on 2017/03/15 18:07:03 UTC

Timeout on a SQL query issues another SQL query to generate EXPLAIN

In IgniteH2Indexing.java#executeSqlQueryWithTimer we automatically issue a
second query to "EXPLAIN" why a query has timed out.  I think we should make
optional the automatic issuance of a second "EXPLAIN" query.  When a query
times out it could very well be due to high load on the system, and issuing
a second query for every timed-out one will only increase system load,
leading to more timeouts, and so on...
            ResultSet rs = executeSqlQuery(conn, stmt, timeoutMillis,
cancel);            long time = U.currentTimeMillis() - start;
long longQryExecTimeout =
schemas.get(schema(space)).ccfg.getLongQueryWarningTimeout();            if
(time > longQryExecTimeout) {                String msg = "Query execution
is too long (" + time + " ms): " + sql;                ResultSet plan =
executeSqlQuery(conn, preparedStatementWithParams(conn, "EXPLAIN " + sql,
params, false), 0, null);
What do others think?

Re: Timeout on a SQL query issues another SQL query to generate EXPLAIN

Posted by Sergi Vladykin <se...@gmail.com>.
Explain is relatively fast operation, it is just parsing + prepare, not the
query execution. If one does not like to see these warnings, he can
increase longQueryWarningTimeout property on the configuration, so it is
already optional and I don't see any problems here.

Sergi

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.