Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jim Campanell <ji...@campanell.com> on 2012/01/04 01:29:56 UTC

Issue with James 3.0-beta3

Hi,

I installed James on my new server.  It seems to be working for the most
part, except I can't seem to send mail to the server from the "outside
world".  I get the following response (trimmed to useful part):

  jimc@WorkingBitsSystems.com
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT
TO:<ji...@WorkingBitsSystems.com>:
    host server.workingbitssystems.com [72.29.121.81]:
    530 5.7.1 Authentication Required

I'm assuming that I did something wrong in my smtpserver.xml:

<smtpserver enabled="true">
  <bind>0.0.0.0:25</bind>
  <connectionBacklog>200</connectionBacklog>
  <tls socketTLS="false" startTLS="false">
  </tls>
  <connectiontimeout>360</connectiontimeout>
  <connectionLimit> 0 </connectionLimit>
  <connectionLimitPerIP> 0 </connectionLimitPerIP>

<authorizedAddresses>127.0.0.0/8,workingbitssystems.com</authorizedAddresses>
  <authRequired>true</authRequired>
  <verifyIdentity>false</verifyIdentity>
  <maxmessagesize>0</maxmessagesize>
  <addressBracketsEnforcement>true</addressBracketsEnforcement>
  <handlerchain enableJmx="true">
    <handler class="org.apache.james.smtpserver.fastfail.ValidRcptHandler"/>
    <handler class="org.apache.james.smtpserver.CoreCmdHandlerLoader"/>

  </handlerchain>
</smtpserver>

At this point, I'm assuming that by listing my domain name in the
authorizedAddresses entry, I should be covered for external emails
coming to me.  Did I format that line incorrectly?  Am I
misunderstanding its purpose?

Thanks,
Jim

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Issue with James 3.0-beta3

Posted by Jim Campanell <ji...@campanell.com>.
Hi Eric,

Thanks for responding.

What I'm looking for is how to set up james so it accepts email that is
incoming to the server itself without requiring a login.  I would expect
this to be the default operation, otherwise, the server is pretty
useless except for internal mail.   ;)

The excerpt from the email I enclosed in my first message is the error
response I get when sending an email from an external server to an
account in james on the server running james.  (In fact, I'm using the
server this email is coming from.)

The only information online I've found on the topic talks about the
MX/PTR records, which I've gotten set up.

The remote server does connect to james, which DENYs the email (from the
james-server.log):

INFO  19:59:24,073 | james.smtpserver | ID=609731148 Connection
established from sadar.lunarpages.com (216.97.227.45)
INFO  19:59:24,195 | james.smtpserver | ID=609731148
org.apache.james.smtpserver.AuthRequiredToRelayRcptHook: result=2 (DENY)
INFO  19:59:24,196 | james.smtpserver | ID=609731148
org.apache.james.smtpserver.JamesRcptCmdHandler: 530 [5.7.1
Authentication Required]
INFO  19:59:24,207 | james.smtpserver | ID=609731148
org.apache.james.smtpserver.JamesDataCmdHandler: 503 [5.5.0 No
recipients specified]

The fact that the DENY log message is coming from
AuthRequiredToRelayRcptHook makes me think that james doesn't recognize
that the message is bound for the local server.

I guess I misunderstood the authorizedAddresses tag.  I was thinking it
listed the server names that messages were going TO where no login would
be required (e.g., my server's alternate identities).  The only other
place I saw to set the local server name was in domainlist.xml:

<domainlist class="org.apache.james.domainlist.jpa.JPADomainList">
  <autodetect>false</autodetect>
  <autodetectIP>false</autodetectIP>
  <defaultDomain>workingbitssystems.com</defaultDomain>
</domainlist>

I turned off autodetect because my VPS hostname keeps getting reset on
system reboot.  Need to address that as well...

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Issue with James 3.0-beta3

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.

Re: Issue with James 3.0-beta3

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
2012/1/12 勐 杨 <x_...@live.cn>:
> I resolved this issue by deleting
> <authorizedAddresses>127.0.0.0/8</authorizedAddresses>
> line from smtpserver.xml

This only affects the case when the client is connected from localhost
and he writes to remote recipients.
Every other use case is not affected by changing that configuration,
so this doesn't sound what Kendrick C. Wilson needs.

Stefano

Re: Issue with James 3.0-beta3

Posted by 勐 杨 <x_...@live.cn>.

Re: Issue with James 3.0-beta3

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

RE: Issue with James 3.0-beta3

Posted by "Kendrick C. Wilson" <ke...@hotmail.com>.
Its a closed system.....

Kendrick C. Wilson

Re: Issue with James 3.0-beta3

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

RE: Issue with James 3.0-beta3

Posted by "Kendrick C. Wilson" <ke...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Issue with James 3.0-beta3

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

RE: Issue with James 3.0-beta3

Posted by "Kendrick C. Wilson" <ke...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Issue with James 3.0-beta3

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
JAMES-1361 is non-issue.

Re: Issue with James 3.0-beta3

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.

Re: Issue with James 3.0-beta3

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Re: Issue with James 3.0-beta3

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.

Re: Issue with James 3.0-beta3

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Re: Issue with James 3.0-beta3

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Jim,

So you were looking for:
- auth if recipient is remote
- no auth if recipient is local
?
What if a mail has local and non-local recipients ?

Based on your needs, we could write some doc for when you come back :)

Thx,

Eric

Re: Issue with James 3.0-beta3

Posted by Jim Campanell <ji...@campanell.com>.