Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Josh Gooding <jo...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/06 00:19:30 UTC

Can a separate web application have a separate memory pool

Hey guys,

In .net can you run your application in a shared pool or it's own pool on
the IIS server, so it doesn't bring down the entire server in the event of
a OOM error.  Does Tomcat allow you to do this as well?  So you can
basically segregate each application to it's own pool of memory in the
server.  I updated the servers at work to 6.0.35.  It runs SOOO much faster
and better, but there is still an application that is doing something funky
and causing OOM's and that halt's the entire server.  I DID set the initial
memory pool to 512 and it's max pool to 1532 (1.5GB) but this application
(yes while poorly written and horribly outdated) is crashing the entire
server.

- Josh

Re: Can a separate web application have a separate memory pool

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 05/02/2012 23:19, Josh Gooding wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> In .net can you run your application in a shared pool or it's own pool on
> the IIS server, so it doesn't bring down the entire server in the event of
> a OOM error.  Does Tomcat allow you to do this as well?

No.

>  So you can
> basically segregate each application to it's own pool of memory in the
> server.  I updated the servers at work to 6.0.35.  It runs SOOO much faster
> and better, but there is still an application that is doing something funky
> and causing OOM's and that halt's the entire server.  I DID set the initial
> memory pool to 512 and it's max pool to 1532 (1.5GB) but this application
> (yes while poorly written and horribly outdated) is crashing the entire
> server.

Just run the broken app in a separate Tomcat instance.

Mark