Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de> on 2008/11/06 00:09:26 UTC

Setting version number in build.properties.default

I noticed that our TC 6 source distribution does not contain any version
info (apart from the archive file name).

For TC 5.5 the file build.properties.default gets updated before tagging
with the correct version info, for TC 6 there's alway 6.0.0.0 in it and
6.0-snapshot.

I propose, that we start to increment the version number in
build.properties.default as part of the release process before tagging.

Lines which would be influenced by this are:

   version.build=0 (new: e.g. 18, 19, ...)
   version=6.0-snapshot (new: 6.0.18, 6.0.19, ...)

and possibly

   version.patch=0.

Is there any release howto, that also contains the additional release
steps apart from the ant tasks?

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Setting version number in build.properties.default

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 05/11/2008, Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 00:32 +0100, Rainer Jung wrote:
>  > Yes: is there any reason to not do it?
>

> It does not look actually useful, and I could forget about it (meaning a
>  lot of wasted time).

Perhaps you could do something like we do for JMeter.

For release builds, the version information must be provided on the
Ant command-line, and is this is used to update a class file
containing the version details, as well as being used for the
directory and archive file names.

For nightly builds on Hudson, the version is set to the current SVN revision.
[This makes it easy to tell what is actually in the build]

The SVN revision is also added to release builds as part of the
version information that is displayed in Help/About.

If the version information is not provided to Ant, then the version
defaults to including the current date.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Remy Maucherat schrieb:
> On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 00:09 +0100, Rainer Jung wrote:
>> I propose, that we start to increment the version number in
>> build.properties.default as part of the release process before tagging.
>
> I propose that I won't do it.

There's no need for you to do it. Anyone can do it before tagging, e.g.
I can set it right now to 19, and after tagging we (someone) increase to
20 etc.

>  Any questions ?

Yes: is there any reason to not do it?

I consider all those src releases being formally broken. If any user
builds a dist out of them by following our BUILDING documentation, he
will get a TC named 6.0.0. Obviously those variables in build.properties
are not meant to be used as constants.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 00:09 +0100, Rainer Jung wrote:
> I propose, that we start to increment the version number in
> build.properties.default as part of the release process before tagging.

I propose that I won't do it. Any questions ?

Rémy