Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org> on 2009/05/05 20:39:43 UTC

[DISCUSS] Time to create a openjpa-all Jar?

I've noticed several threads on the users list where we keep getting
questions about the runtime dependencies needed for OpenJPA and would
like to propose OPENJPA-1063:

1) rename the current trunk/openjpa-all directory to trunk/openjpa to
properly match the OpenJPA aggregate artifact name of
openjpa-${version}.jar used today.

2) create a new /trunk/openjpa-all/pom.xml which creates a OpenJPA +
depends + OSGi bundle metadata aggregate artifact
openjpa-all-${version}.jar, which users can grab if they want all of the
runtime dependency levels used to build/test.  This would not include
any Derby, ANT, Postgresql or IBM dependencies.

A follow-on to #2 (OPENJPA-1062), will be adding the OSGi bundle
metadata, to allow easy out-of-the-box installation and usage of OpenJPA
on Apache Felix or Eclipse.

-Donald

Re: [DISCUSS] Time to create a openjpa-all Jar?

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
Yes, this is an additional jar which users can choose to use for simple
Java SE/app client situations where they want an all-in-one solution
(minus the DB drivers of course.)  I went ahead and included the new
openjpa-all jar in the binary assembly, but we could also leave it out
and let users pull it from a maven repo.

-Donald

Posted by Jeremy Bauer <te...@gmail.com>.
Donald,

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the input.  Replies in-line below.

-Donald

Michael Dick wrote:
> Hi Donald,
>
> I hate when people respond like this. I know we talked about renaming
> openjpa-all to openjpa at some point in the past but we ran into some
> issue(s) with doing so. I haven't been able to find the relevant emails
> though.
>
> So bearing that in mind I think this sounds like a good idea. I don't
> particularly like the mismatch between the maven artifact name and the
> directory name either.
>
> I think I'd prefer a different name for the new (and improved) openjpa-all
> directory though. Maybe openjpa-bundle or openjpa-osgi. Something to
> differentiate it from the old name seems like a good idea to me.

I was thinking openjpa-all to match how other projects name their
artifacts.  Some projects create <project>.jar which contains all
depends and then a <project>-nodeps.jar or <project>-core.jar for the
minimal subset, but we don't want to rename our main artifact and impact
downstream consumers.  Also, the goal is to eventually add the OSGi
bundle metadata to both artifacts (openjpa and openjpa-all) so creating
a openjpa-osgi or openjpa-bundle artifact would be confusing if it also
contained all the depends.

> Regarding this module, where are you drawing the line regarding which
> dependencies to include? If we were to include commons-dbcp in our binary
> distribution would that be included in the new osgi bundle? What about spec
> jars etc.? I'm just curious how bare bones we want to be with the osgi
> bundle.

I'm using the maven-shade-plugin to pull in all of the depends listed in
the current openjpa-all/pom.xml (which would become the openjpa/pom.xml)
and adding an exclude for postgresql.  That way, whenever we add new
depends to the main openjpa artifact, they will be automatically
included in the openjpa-all artifact.

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Donald,