Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/01 00:36:05 UTC

Re: betas

Some people are just not going to touch pre-release software no mater what
label you put on it. I say we just keep on the track we are on and get a
beta out ASAP.

Gary

On Aug 31, 2013, at 17:29, Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>
wrote:

1) It is obviously not production ready, since we're still having OSGi
issues. There's also the ServletContainerInitializer discussion, which may
take another cycle to resolve fully to everyone's satisfaction. I'm
currently responding to your most recent comments. (Stop editing them! :-P)

2) I clearly articulated what I believed the advantage of using rc1 over
beta9 was: getting more people to test it. I'm open to alternatives to
rc1/RC1, but if you search Maven central for RC1 you'll see that
RC1/2/3/4/5 is what *everyone* is using for release candidates. I've seen
both 2.0.0-RC1 and 2.0.0.RC1 variations. I'm fine with either. Note that
for the Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1 vote, for example, they simply voted for
"8.0.0-RC1." They didn't vote for "8.0.0-RC1 rc 1." I suggest a vote for
"Log4j 2.0.0-RC1 candidate 2" or "Log4j 2.0.0-RC1 take 2" or "Log4j
2.0.0-RC1 attempt 2" would be appropriate if the first vote for RC1 fails.

(I do prefer uppercase RC1 instead of lowercase rc1.)

Nick

On Aug 31, 2013, at 4:18 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:

I simply have a problem with the string "rc1".  For every release we do the
first vote we have is for "rc 1". If the release vote fails we move on to
"rc 2".  In other words, an rc is a candidate for a specific version - it
isn't a version itself.  I can't imagine holding a vote for 2.0-rc1 rc 1,
or worse 2.0-rc1 rc 2.  A few other projects have done something like
2.0RC1, which is a little better. However ....

If you really think it is ready for prime time then just call it 2.0.  If
you don't then I would ask that we identify what issues must be addressed
before we can do a 2.0 release.  What will we really gain by calling it
rc1. It still means you don't believe it is production ready in my mind.

Ralph

On Aug 30, 2013, at 7:27 PM, Remko Popma wrote:

I'm fine with either rc1 and beta9 for the next release. I slightly prefer
rc1: agree with Nick that rc1 may elicit more usage.

Re: betas

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
You got me there! :)

Gary

On Aug 31, 2013, at 18:57, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

You don't think we can get everything fixed in 2 days ;-)

Yes - beta9.

Ralph

On Aug 31, 2013, at 3:48 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

I hope you mean the next beta release and not 2.0.

Gary

On Aug 31, 2013, at 18:47, Ralph Goers <rg...@apache.org> wrote:

Whatever it is, I am thinking I would start the release process Monday.

Ralph

Re: betas

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: betas