Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Michael Mason <mg...@decisionsoft.com> on 2000/06/13 10:41:21 UTC

Re: cpu usage

Joseph Shraibman wrote:

> >  Note that Xerces-J takes great pains to avoid the time consuming
> > java.lang.String functions, which are costly in time.  (Notice that they weren't on your
> > list of high runner functions!)
>
> Actually I told OptimizeIt to ignore the core java classes because
> before it was reporting 90% of the cpu was being taken up by
> java.net.Socket methods (a different part of the program).

Urm, are you sure it's recording CPU cycles spent, rather than time
spent in the function? Socket code blocks for ages waiting for data, but
properly written stuff (as I assume the Xerces socket code is) will
sleep while waiting. Maybe you should check this out, as it could be
throwing off your other results too.

Mike.

--
Mike Mason, Software Engineer
XML Script Development Team                    Office: 44-1865-203192

xalan

Posted by John Moylan <jo...@nua-tech.com>.
I'm trying to set up xalan, and run some of the samples but I'm not
having a very good time of it,
Undefined classes everywhere,eg

running :
java SimpleTransform

results in :
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/xml/sax/ext/LexicalHandler
etc

 I've been downloading classes for SAX and
DOM and extending my classpath, but the list of unfound classes is
getting bigger and bigger.

Anyone got some pointers?

TIA,
John

Re: cpu usage

Posted by Joseph Shraibman <jk...@selectacast.net>.
No, I rechecked it counting only cpu usage.