Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Rubin Bennett <rb...@thatitguy.com> on 2008/02/19 15:39:17 UTC

Re: [WRONG PLACE TO ASK THIS] WHM/Cpanel: Where are the Server-wide SpamAssassin settings?

If you want to post to this list, please subscribe like a regular user,
and do your research first before you post.  Nabble, in a word, sucks.
It fences your posts as being from a subscribed address when in fact
it's not, and Nabble is not a forum at all, but an interface to a
mailing list with thousands of users, none of whom are here to answer
questions that are completely irrelevant to the actual content of the
mailing list.

Response to your questions below:

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 06:01 -0800, Shanx wrote:
> As you will see from the headers, for some reason it is still forcing
> a test against "Required Score" of 2.5. I am trying to see where it is
> getting this instruction of 2.5 from.
>
> 1. In my server-wide /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf I have this:
>
>         required_score 12
> 2. In my user_prefs for an individual domain in cpanel,
> at /home/MYDOMAIN/.spamassassin/user_prefs I have this:
>         required_score 12
> But this is what my incoming mail headers tell me, which confuse me
> about where it is picking up these settings!
>         Content analysis details: (4.7 points, 2.5 required)
>         pts rule name description
>         ---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
>         1.0 EXTRA_MPART_TYPE Header has extraneous Content-type:...type= entry
>         -0.0 SPF_PASS SPF: sender matches SPF record
> Where is it getting that instruction highlighted in red? ("2.5
> required" for those who aren't reading HTML.) In fact, this example is
> from a mail that was sent from an email address that's listed as
> "whitelist_from" in this domain's user_prefs file, and yet this came
> in as spam. Which means SA is reading neither the server wide
> instructions (local.cf) nor the domain's individual user_prefs. Any
> ideas about where I can start debugging? Thanks!
Read the man pages.
Post this to the relevant MAILING LISTS (NOT NABBLE!).  Hints... when
asking questions about cPanel, you may want to post to the cPanel list.
This mailing list is for users of SpamAssassin, and we can't and won't
answer questions that are not relevant to SpamAssassin, or are related
to some proprietary wrapper around SpamAssassin.

Good luck, and by all means, once you've stopped using the Nabble
interface and have exhausted your options going through the cPanel
forums, we'll be happy to help.

Rubin
P.S.:  List Admins: Is there a way to toss Nabble postings
automatically?  They annoy the hell out of me, and I suspect I'm not
alone :)

Rubin Bennett
RB Technologies
http://thatitguy.com
rbennett@thatitguy.com
(802)223-4448

temporary security deserve neither liberty nor safety"
  --Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Re: [WRONG PLACE TO ASK THIS] WHM/Cpanel: Where are the Server-wide SpamAssassin settings?

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@freenet.de>.
Am 2008-02-19 14:58:51, schrieb Justin Mason:

> Rubin Bennett writes:
> > P.S.:  List Admins: Is there a way to toss Nabble postings
> > automatically?  They annoy the hell out of me, and I suspect I'm not
> > alone :)
>
> Actually, Nabble posting is fine.  Please avoid setting list
> policy without being invited to do so ;)

And WHY does it send HTML-Crap?

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Re: [WRONG PLACE TO ASK THIS] WHM/Cpanel: Where are the Server-wide SpamAssassin settings?

Posted by Shanx <sh...@gmail.com>.

Rubin Bennett wrote:

> If you want to post to this list, please subscribe like a regular user,
> and do your research first before you post.  Nabble, in a word, sucks.

When the SpamAssassin mailing list page stops recommending Nabble, perhaps
users will stop posting from Nabble.
forum-style user interface for the list at Nabble.com, where you can post
questions and get answers without subscribing by mail."

Anyway, some people like yours truly are subscribed to a bunch of mailing
lists already. For something like SA, which we expect to silently do its job
in the background, here is huge appeal in not subscribing to a mailing list,
for the simple reason that you illustrate so vividly: you email had zero
helpful advice but went on an ignorant rant about list policy, of which you
aren't even responsible.

Yes, I have already posted to the cpanel forums. Long ago. No response. I
mailed to my hosting provider. But contrary to what your vision of the world
may be, SpamAssassin is not such a vitally important product that sysadmins
are experts at it.

Hence my feeling that someone in the SA community may have a better idea.

Thanks for nothing but I appreciate that you took the time to write
*something*.

Cheers.

Re: [WRONG PLACE TO ASK THIS] WHM/Cpanel: Where are the Server-wide SpamAssassin settings?

Posted by Matthias Schmidt <be...@admilon.net>.
Am/On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:49:34 -0800 schrieb/wrote Evan Platt:

>At 06:39 AM 2/19/2008, Rubin Bennett wrote:
>>If you want to post to this list, please subscribe like a regular user,
>>and do your research first before you post.  Nabble, in a word, sucks.
>>It fences your posts as being from a subscribed address when in fact
>>it's not, and Nabble is not a forum at all, but an interface to a
>>mailing list with thousands of users, none of whom are here to answer
>>questions that are completely irrelevant to the actual content of the
>>mailing list.
>
>I agree. Nabble is like Google Groups.
>
>Contact them, tell them they don't have permission to archive your
>posts. I've done that. If enough people do....

you can do that by yourself by adding an additional header to your mails sent.

but btw this ranting was neither help nor useful.

Thanks and all the best

Matthias

RE: [WRONG PLACE TO ASK THIS] WHM/Cpanel: Where are the Server-wide SpamAssassin settings?

Posted by Robert - elists <li...@abbacomm.net>.

> Funnily enough that's the useful response. This would be a much more
> useful
> list if instead of pouncing on non-experts with tangential rants people
> simply offered a link or two, or said precisely what kind of test info is
> needed.
>
> I have now seen these pages:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/TestingInstallation
> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AskingAboutIntegrations
>
> I'll try them and check if SA is picking up the local.cf at all.
>
> Meanwhile, one specific question: where in Linux (with Exim) is spamd
> started? I did a "spamd --help" and noticed that I can also specifically
> assign a configuration file during startup. I'd like to try that, but
> haven't found the Exim specifics.
>
> Thanks.

Shanx

I dunno anything in regards to Exim...

Ummm, I know on the centos boxes we use it is started by checking a few
things...

Do this

ps -auxww | grep spam

see what it looks like as a process

chkconfig --list | grep spam

see if it is started as a service

typically you can do this

/etc/init.d/spamassassin

And get this

[root@ac ~]# /etc/init.d/spamassassin
Usage: /etc/init.d/spamassassin {start|stop|restart|status|condrestart}

Then you can look at that actual file if you wish with

nano  /etc/init.d/spamassassin

ctrl-x to get out

Stuff like that...

 - rh

RE: [WRONG PLACE TO ASK THIS] WHM/Cpanel: Where are the Server-wide SpamAssassin settings?

Posted by Shanx <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert - elists <li...@abbacomm.net>.

> This is the SpamAssassin users list. For people who are using SpamAssassin
> and having trouble with it.
>
> My post was absolutely within the remit of this list. And I provided as
> much
> information as I thought was relevant, including the header tags added by
> SA, the local.cf file, the user_prefs setting. If some more information
> was
> necessary for you to helpful, then pray do ask. No point going into a
> tangential rant.
>
> FWIW, Nabble sends all emails ONCE (as the mailing list would). It does
> not
> cross post (nor would the mailing list). It maintains a thread of the
> conversation (as would the mailing list mails if you used an intelligent
> reader such as Gmail). I'm not sure what your little ramble is about but
> it
> sure doesn't belong here. Write to Nabble or the SA list admin and express
> your frustrations.
>
> Anyway, I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone about my original post. I am
> on CentOS. SA has been installed using WHM (Cpanel) but I don't mind
> tinkering with it from the console. Basically, the local.cf settings are
> not
> being picked up. How should I tell SA to read the config file as
> specified?
>
> Thanks!

Shanx,

Even though you posted to the cpanel forums, did you pick up the phone and
call them, provided you have support?

Since you posted that you do not mind using a console shell, you could
always do what everyone else does and do some debugging and research and
post your results...

We aren't people or server mind readers... ok, well some of us are, we just
don't share so much that way....

;-)

Other than that, you really haven't provided enough information (all the way
around) to solve anything and are simply wasting time.

I imagine most people on the list that can kill threads in their readers
denied/killed this one long ago.

 - rh

Re: [WRONG PLACE TO ASK THIS] WHM/Cpanel: Where are the Server-wide SpamAssassin settings?

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 18:40 -0800, Shanx wrote:
> Rubin Bennett wrote:

> FWIW, Nabble sends all emails ONCE (as the mailing list would). [...]

Nabble *does* send multiple emails re-using the very same Message-Id, if
one "edits" their "forum" post.

> [...] I'm not sure what your little ramble is about but it sure doesn't
> belong here. Write to Nabble or the SA list admin and express your
> frustrations.

Dude, he just apologized. This is totally off base and unnecessary.

And just in case you wanna tell me to go complain to Nabble -- this is
exactly what it did, and we are currently discussing things to resolve
technical problems.

  guenther

Re: [WRONG PLACE TO ASK THIS] WHM/Cpanel: Where are the Server-wide SpamAssassin settings?

Posted by Shanx <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rubin Bennett <rb...@thatitguy.com>.
On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 16:49 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:
> At 06:39 AM 2/19/2008, Rubin Bennett wrote:
> >If you want to post to this list, please subscribe like a regular user,
> >and do your research first before you post.  Nabble, in a word, sucks.
> >It fences your posts as being from a subscribed address when in fact
> >it's not, and Nabble is not a forum at all, but an interface to a
> >mailing list with thousands of users, none of whom are here to answer
> >questions that are completely irrelevant to the actual content of the
> >mailing list.
>
> I agree. Nabble is like Google Groups.
>
> Contact them, tell them they don't have permission to archive your
> posts. I've done that. If enough people do....

I would like to put this thread to rest.  I have contacted the OP
privately, explaining my position and why I sent the response I did.  I
did not mean to start a flame war - the lack of information relevant to
this mailing list and it's source prompted me to send perhaps a stronger
response than was necessary.  My comment about Nabble was, as a few of
you have pointed out, neither informative or helpful, so my apologies to
the list for that part of my post.

My real gripe with the original post stands:  The OP didn't preface the
post as being Off Topic, and didn't let us know that they had in fact
already done a fair bit of research into the issue they were
experiencing or what that research entailed.  That was information that
should have been included, and would have resulted in all of our being
well and prepared to help in any way we could; after all, we've all been
there many times ourselves.

To the list admins, I certainly didn't mean for my post to be
interpreted as my trying to muscle in on making list policy.

Thank you,
Rubin

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 18:59 -0800, Shanx wrote:
> Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:

That name's fine. :)

> > Did you by any chance "edit" your post?
>
> No, I clicked the Resend button. Not Nabble's fault. The SA mailing list
> says on its page that posting from Nabble without registering for the list
> is fine. But it's not. I need to register, then I can use the Nabble
> interface. So I registered and then posted the message again. If there's a
> fault, it's mine (based on the confusing info on the SA list page), not
> Nabble's.

I see.  So the first post has been moderated or just let through without
subscription, and you actually did not need to subscribe and resend.
Dunno. The web page may need updating then.

> Anyway, any helpful advice on the problem I'm facing with SA? It's not
> reading my local.cf settings. How can I change that behavior? I am on CentOS
> if that helps. Thanks for any pointers!

I'm sorry, not by me. I have never used CPanel, and am not familiar with
the setup nor the options available.

The only hint I might possibly provide is the general "did you restart
the service", if you're running any, after changing settings?

  guenther

Re: [WRONG PLACE TO ASK THIS] WHM/Cpanel: Where are the Server-wide SpamAssassin settings?

Posted by Shanx <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 16:48 -0800, Shanx wrote:
> Karsten Bräckelmann-2 wrote:

Ye flippin gods, my "Nabble name" for this email address.  Damn, why
don't they just accept that my real name does not have any number in it?

> > They don't understand the very basics of email. They just managed
> > *again* to send the very same Message-Id *twice*. Yeah, the Nabble folks

FWIW, an issue I am currently discussing with the Nabble folks. And so
far, they seem to listen. We'll see, how this goes. OT anyway.

> Anyway, my note was posted twice not by Nabble but my the mailing list.

This is NOT true.

Please don't claim something like this, if you didn't check the facts.
While the Message-Id is identical, both the *MUA* generated Date header
as well as the first Nabble internal Received header DO show DIFFERENT
dates.

Posted by Shanx <sh...@gmail.com>.

Karsten Bräckelmann-2 wrote:

> You sure about that?
>
> They don't understand the very basics of email. They just managed
> *again* to send the very same Message-Id *twice*. Yeah, the Nabble folks

I am subscribed to this list. Perhaps whoever manages the SA list page
(http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/MailingLists) may want to update the
information that states unequivocally that Nabble posting is alright.

Anyway, my note was posted twice not by Nabble but my the mailing list. Some
of us find Nabble VERY useful, and I absolutely love the interface that
allows me to subscribe only to specific threads instead of the whole barrage
of email full of useless responses.

Cheers.