Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> on 2003/01/07 18:32:04 UTC

[VOTE] Adopt site: linking

Hi,

On the LINKMAP_BRANCH, I'm at the stage where things are fairly stable,
and ready to be integrated into the trunk.  Since there are some big
changes here, I thought this would be a good time to introduce them all
and [VOTE] on their inclusion.

>From a user's POV, the following changes are apparent:

1) There's a new file, src/documentation/content/xdocs/site.xml,
containing an XML map of the website contents.

2) book.xml's are no longer necessary, but are supported for
backwards-compatibility.  Normally, menus are now generated directly from
site.xml.

3) You can now use <link href="site:xyz"> to link to xyz.html, providing
the xyz node is defined in site.xml.  These site: links work wherever the
linkee or linker are located.  Actually, 'xyz' could identify almost
anything: a directory, a file, an #anchor node, or an external http: URL.
It's now Forrest's job to resolve that.

4) You can use <link href="ext:abc"> as an aliasing mechanism for
external URLs defined in site.xml.  Useful for hard-to-remember URLs or
those used in multiple places.

5) Advanced users (people who can configure InputModules) can define
their own linking schemes.

I've documented the system from a user and developer POV at
http://cvs.apache.org/~jefft/tmp/forrest/linking.html
That doc will have plenty of typos and stupid mistakes, as I haven't
proof-read it yet.

As I told Robert off-list, the site.xml format is very much a first cut,
"simplest thing that works" affair, which at some stage we can replace
with a decent RDF + dublin core system, more like the LSB site.xml.

--Jeff

Re: [VOTE] Adopt site: linking

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Steven Noels wrote:
>
>> Jeff Turner wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> On the LINKMAP_BRANCH, I'm at the stage where things are fairly stable,
>>> and ready to be integrated into the trunk.  Since there are some big
>>> changes here, I thought this would be a good time to introduce them all
>>> and [VOTE] on their inclusion.

>>> 1) There's a new file, src/documentation/content/xdocs/site.xml,
>>> containing an XML map of the website contents.
>>

>> You know my feelings towards the format of that file, but since it is
>> easily adaptable, we let the user decide.
>>
>>> 2) book.xml's are no longer necessary, but are supported for
>>> backwards-compatibility.  Normally, menus are now generated directly
>>> from
>>> site.xml.
>>

>> After setting up cocoondev.org/xreporter.cocoondev.org some weeks ago,
>> and working currently on a new release of outerthought.org, I can only
>> say: which I had this sooner ;-)
>>
>>> 3) You can now use <link href="site:xyz"> to link to xyz.html, providing
>>> the xyz node is defined in site.xml.  These site: links work wherever
>>> the
>>> linkee or linker are located.  Actually, 'xyz' could identify almost
>>> anything: a directory, a file, an #anchor node, or an external http:
>>> URL.
>>> It's now Forrest's job to resolve that.
>>

>> Yay.
>>
>>> 4) You can use <link href="ext:abc"> as an aliasing mechanism for
>>> external URLs defined in site.xml.  Useful for hard-to-remember URLs or
>>> those used in multiple places.
>>

>> Hooray.
>>
>>> 5) Advanced users (people who can configure InputModules) can define
>>> their own linking schemes.
>>>
>>> I've documented the system from a user and developer POV at
>>> http://cvs.apache.org/~jefft/tmp/forrest/linking.html
>>> That doc will have plenty of typos and stupid mistakes, as I haven't
>>> proof-read it yet.
>>

>> Cool.
>>
>>> As I told Robert off-list, the site.xml format is very much a first cut,
>>> "simplest thing that works" affair, which at some stage we can replace
>>> with a decent RDF + dublin core system, more like the LSB site.xml.
>>

>> Great piece of work, Jeff.
>>
>> Big +1
>

> +1 as well.
>
> Great job.

+1, looks like I was too early with thanking you for your great
efforts :-)

-marc=

Re: [VOTE] Adopt site: linking

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On the LINKMAP_BRANCH, I'm at the stage where things are fairly stable,
>> and ready to be integrated into the trunk.  Since there are some big
>> changes here, I thought this would be a good time to introduce them all
>> and [VOTE] on their inclusion.
>>
>>> From a user's POV, the following changes are apparent:
>>

>> 1) There's a new file, src/documentation/content/xdocs/site.xml,
>> containing an XML map of the website contents.
>

> You know my feelings towards the format of that file, but since it is
> easily adaptable, we let the user decide.
>
>> 2) book.xml's are no longer necessary, but are supported for
>> backwards-compatibility.  Normally, menus are now generated directly from
>> site.xml.
>

> After setting up cocoondev.org/xreporter.cocoondev.org some weeks ago,
> and working currently on a new release of outerthought.org, I can only
> say: which I had this sooner ;-)
>
>> 3) You can now use <link href="site:xyz"> to link to xyz.html, providing
>> the xyz node is defined in site.xml.  These site: links work wherever the
>> linkee or linker are located.  Actually, 'xyz' could identify almost
>> anything: a directory, a file, an #anchor node, or an external http: URL.
>> It's now Forrest's job to resolve that.
>

> Yay.
>
>> 4) You can use <link href="ext:abc"> as an aliasing mechanism for
>> external URLs defined in site.xml.  Useful for hard-to-remember URLs or
>> those used in multiple places.
>

> Hooray.
>
>> 5) Advanced users (people who can configure InputModules) can define
>> their own linking schemes.
>>
>> I've documented the system from a user and developer POV at
>> http://cvs.apache.org/~jefft/tmp/forrest/linking.html
>> That doc will have plenty of typos and stupid mistakes, as I haven't
>> proof-read it yet.
>

> Cool.
>
>> As I told Robert off-list, the site.xml format is very much a first cut,
>> "simplest thing that works" affair, which at some stage we can replace
>> with a decent RDF + dublin core system, more like the LSB site.xml.
>

> Great piece of work, Jeff.
>
> Big +1

+1 as well.

Great job.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: [VOTE] Adopt site: linking

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On the LINKMAP_BRANCH, I'm at the stage where things are fairly stable,
> and ready to be integrated into the trunk.  Since there are some big
> changes here, I thought this would be a good time to introduce them all
> and [VOTE] on their inclusion.
>
>>>From a user's POV, the following changes are apparent:
>
> 1) There's a new file, src/documentation/content/xdocs/site.xml,
> containing an XML map of the website contents.

You know my feelings towards the format of that file, but since it is
easily adaptable, we let the user decide.

> 2) book.xml's are no longer necessary, but are supported for
> backwards-compatibility.  Normally, menus are now generated directly from
> site.xml.

After setting up cocoondev.org/xreporter.cocoondev.org some weeks ago,
and working currently on a new release of outerthought.org, I can only
say: which I had this sooner ;-)

> 3) You can now use <link href="site:xyz"> to link to xyz.html, providing
> the xyz node is defined in site.xml.  These site: links work wherever the
> linkee or linker are located.  Actually, 'xyz' could identify almost
> anything: a directory, a file, an #anchor node, or an external http: URL.
> It's now Forrest's job to resolve that.

Yay.

> 4) You can use <link href="ext:abc"> as an aliasing mechanism for
> external URLs defined in site.xml.  Useful for hard-to-remember URLs or
> those used in multiple places.

Hooray.

> 5) Advanced users (people who can configure InputModules) can define
> their own linking schemes.
>
> I've documented the system from a user and developer POV at
> http://cvs.apache.org/~jefft/tmp/forrest/linking.html
> That doc will have plenty of typos and stupid mistakes, as I haven't
> proof-read it yet.

Cool.

> As I told Robert off-list, the site.xml format is very much a first cut,
> "simplest thing that works" affair, which at some stage we can replace
> with a decent RDF + dublin core system, more like the LSB site.xml.

Great piece of work, Jeff.

Big +1

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Adopt site: linking

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Jeff Turner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On the LINKMAP_BRANCH, I'm at the stage where things are fairly stable,
> and ready to be integrated into the trunk.  Since there are some big
> changes here, I thought this would be a good time to introduce them all
> and [VOTE] on their inclusion.
>
>>>From a user's POV, the following changes are apparent:
>
> 1) There's a new file, src/documentation/content/xdocs/site.xml,
> containing an XML map of the website contents.

+1

> 2) book.xml's are no longer necessary, but are supported for
> backwards-compatibility.  Normally, menus are now generated directly from
> site.xml.

+1 (compliments for this, it's very useful indeed)

> 3) You can now use <link href="site:xyz"> to link to xyz.html, providing
> the xyz node is defined in site.xml.  These site: links work wherever the
> linkee or linker are located.  Actually, 'xyz' could identify almost
> anything: a directory, a file, an #anchor node, or an external http: URL.
> It's now Forrest's job to resolve that.

+1

> 4) You can use <link href="ext:abc"> as an aliasing mechanism for
> external URLs defined in site.xml.  Useful for hard-to-remember URLs or
> those used in multiple places.

+1

> 5) Advanced users (people who can configure InputModules) can define
> their own linking schemes.

+1

> I've documented the system from a user and developer POV at
> http://cvs.apache.org/~jefft/tmp/forrest/linking.html
> That doc will have plenty of typos and stupid mistakes, as I haven't
> proof-read it yet.
>
> As I told Robert off-list, the site.xml format is very much a first cut,
> "simplest thing that works" affair, which at some stage we can replace
> with a decent RDF + dublin core system, more like the LSB site.xml.

I like it because it's simple. We'll see where real-world usage gets us.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -