Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@apache.org> on 2014/10/24 17:28:29 UTC

[Discuss] [Service Grouping] Undeployment Process for a Composite Application

Hi Devs,

The purpose of this thread is to discuss $subject.

I identified the following workflow:

   1. Application owner undeploys the app via the rest API, using
   application id
   2. This will be notified to CC over a service call
   3. CC updates the Cluster and Application statuses to 'Inactive' in
   Topology, and send the 'Application Undeployed' event
   4. Upon receiving the Application Undeployed event, Autoscaler will put
   the Application, Group and Cluster Monitors' statuses to 'Terminating' and
   start terminating members. The monitors will get removed. Also, the
   relevant events will be sent via the Application Status topic and CC will
   update the Topology with the correct statuses for Clusters, Groups, etc.
   5. Once everything is terminated and cleaned up, the Autoscaler sends
   the 'Application Terminated' event
   6. CC removed the application data from Topology upon the event
   Application Terminated event, and notify the Topology listeners

WDYT?
--
Thanks and Regards,

Isuru H.
+94 716 358 048* <http://wso2.com/>*

Re: [Discuss] [Service Grouping] Undeployment Process for a Composite Application

Posted by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>.
Hi Isuru,

Why CC set application status to Inactive? Application inactive state
refers to the state where its clusters or groups are not activated yet. May
be terminating is better, isn't it?

Touched, not typed. Erroneous words are a feature, not a typo.

Re: [Discuss] [Service Grouping] Undeployment Process for a Composite Application

Posted by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@apache.org>.
Hi Udara and Martin,

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 11:40 PM, Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Touched, not typed. Erroneous words are a feature, not a typo.
> On Oct 24, 2014 10:28 PM, "Martin Eppel (meppel)" <me...@cisco.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Isuru,
> >

> > +1
> >

> > Please see a questions / comments inline
> >

> > Thanks
> >

> > Martin

Sorry for the confusion, my mistake. The status should corrected to
'Terminating'. Thanks a lot for pointing it out. You are correct,
Application Inactive status can happen in other cases as member errors,
etc. So we need to be able to distinguish such situations from
undeployment.
Please find mail on dev list [1] discussing possible Application States.

> At that point we can add another status InMaintainace which is handled
> differently. Created, activated, inactive, terminating and terminated are
> the available states currently.
> > Upon receiving the Application Undeployed event, Autoscaler will put the
> Application, Group and Cluster Monitors' statuses to 'Terminating' and
> start terminating members. The monitors will get removed. Also, the
> relevant events will be sent via the Application Status topic and CC will
> update the Topology with the correct statuses for Clusters, Groups, etc.
> >
> > Martin> I assume that not only application events but all the respective
> group, cluster and member topology events will be sent as well as they
> transition through the respective states, correct ?
> It should be. I get the feeling Isuru also has meant the same.

Yes, exactly.

[1]. [Discuss] [Service Grouping] Life Cycle of an Composite Application

Posted by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>.
Touched, not typed. Erroneous words are a feature, not a typo.
On Oct 24, 2014 10:28 PM, "Martin Eppel (meppel)" <me...@cisco.com> wrote:

> Hi Isuru,
>

> +1
>

> Please see a questions / comments inline
>

> Thanks
>

> Martin

+94 716 358 048<tel:%2B94%20716%20358%20048>