Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at> on 2003/01/07 10:33:58 UTC

Turbine Roadmap?!?

It would be good to have a roadmap for Turbine > 2.2

Turbine 2.3
- the Services should stay as they are
- Turbine should be able to use avalon components
    - Torque should be loaded as an avalon component

Turbine 2.3+
- The services should be avalon components
   - fulcrum or plexus??

We should decide what will become turbine 3.0!

Will the current turbine-3 code ever be released?

Will Plexus/Summit replace the existing Turbine code?
   yes? when will this happen?

Re: Turbine Roadmap?!?

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at> writes:

>It would be good to have a roadmap for Turbine > 2.2

>Turbine 2.3
>- the Services should stay as they are

>- Turbine should be able to use avalon components
>    - Torque should be loaded as an avalon component

The Component Service should be able to use Avalon Components. Not the
Turbine Service Broker itself. This would be much too heavy.

>Turbine 2.3+
>- The services should be avalon components

Yes.

>   - fulcrum or plexus??

Neither nor? The Fulcrum Service Broker is (except the class names)
the same as the current CVS HEAD Service Broker from Turbine (IMHO I
copied all the relevant parts).

We'd have to take a much closer look at Plexus to see whether this is
what we need and Jason told us (if I remember correctly) that "Plexus
is not ready for prime time and he prefers to develop off-Jakarta". So
in the end it might be Jasons' call. I don't want to simply drag this
code out of his CVS if he doesn't feel it is ready to do so.

>We should decide what will become turbine 3.0!

Definitely. Or Turbine Next Generation (hey, it would be TNG! %-) )

>Will the current turbine-3 code ever be released?

Don't know.

>Will Plexus/Summit replace the existing Turbine code?
>   yes? when will this happen?

Why should it? Lets' call it Plexus/Summit and the Turbine Code
"Turbine".  We just had a message on community@apache.org about
"cross-pollination". I liked it.

	Regards
		Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de

Am Schwabachgrund 22  Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0   info@intermeta.de
D-91054 Buckenhof     Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20