Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Robert Thullner <rt...@gmx.at> on 2007/12/12 14:54:42 UTC

Help getting started

Hello

I have played around with service mix for quite a while now, deploying
sample applications, playing around with them and also walked through the
tutorials on the website. But I still have starting problems, when I want to
implement a solution from scratch.

Here is my scenario I would like to implement:
I have a Component that sends out a JMS TextMessage, which contains a xml
file, in a defined interval (e.g. 5 seconds). Another component should
listen on the queue, take the message, filter some xml tags out of the
message and then post the message to a topic where other applications are
listening.
One of the other applications takes the messages from the topics and some
properties to the message. Then depending on the property set by the
previous component, the message content should either be written to a file
or database, xmpp or simply jms again. For the routing I would like to try
out Camel and/or drools (I would like to try out both ways, so I can see
what I prefer at the end).

So my question now is, where should I start, what has to be done first? Do I
need a service unit for all of my components and then one service assembly?
I also found the POJO support for servicemix. Should I write POJOs for all
my components and then deploy them all to service mix?

Please help me getting started, because I would really like to get
comfortable with servicemix.

Thanks
Robert

Re: Help getting started

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 12/13/07, Robert Thullner <rt...@gmx.at> wrote:
> Thanks for this information
>
> I have one more question on service mix.
> Some examples show the usage of JBI packaging where all the service units
> and service assembly have their pom.xml and xbean.xml files. At the end
> everything is installed on a running servicemix container.
>
> Some other examples use a static configuration within a servicemix.xml or
> other xml files. Then servicemix is started and the xml files are passed as
> parameters.
>
> What is the main difference between those two modes? Are there some criteria
> where one of them should be prefered to an other?

The static style of configuration is known as a lightweight
configuration. This configuration style was created when ServiceMix
started as a way to simplify using JBI. It was a good intention, but
the result was very specific to ServiceMix, not portable to any other
JBI container and it requires the entire container to be shut down to
change any of the lightweight component configuration.

Over time, however, what we found was that people wanted JBI compliant
components more than custom components with custom configurations.
Additionally, nobody liked having to shutdown ServiceMix to change the
configuration. So we began to put our efforts toward building JBI
compliant components and none of the committers is really focused on
advancing the lightweight components these days.

So as more JBI compliant components were created, we decided to create
a JBI compliant component to which the lightweight configurations can
be deployed. This is how the servicemix-lwcontainer came about. The
lwcontainer itself is a JBI compliant component, but the
configurations deployed to it are not JBI compliant.

Hopefully I've answered your questions with this answer. Please let us
know if you have any more questions.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/

AW: Help getting started

I think you need to write a service unit for a component respectively, and
then write a service assembly to pack all of service units.
I would suggest you take a look at "wsdl-first" example & servicemix
components [1] to find out how to config a service unit for component that
you want.

[1] http://servicemix.apache.org/documentation.html

--
Thanks