Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Nicolás Lichtmaier <ni...@reloco.com.ar> on 2006/08/22 02:48:15 UTC

HttpClient-HttpComponents relationship

I can't find which is the relationship between these two projects. It
would be nice if this can be made clear in the web pages! (That's why
I'm posting this in this list).

BTW, I need to asynchronously get a lot of URLs (using pipelining if
posible), HTTPAsync seems the right thing to use, but everybody points
at HTTPClient. What do I do?

Many thanks!

Re: HttpClient-HttpComponents relationship

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.
Nicolás,

It says on the front page: "Jakarta HttpComponents project is charged
with developing and maintaining Commons HttpClient. Commons HttpClient 3
series will be maintained until Jakarta HttpClient 4 is deemed stable
enough to supersede it for use in production."

Feel free to submit a better sentence.

Cheers

Ortwin

Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:
> I can't find which is the relationship between these two projects. It
> would be nice if this can be made clear in the web pages! (That's why
> I'm posting this in this list).
>
> BTW, I need to asynchronously get a lot of URLs (using pipelining if
> posible), HTTPAsync seems the right thing to use, but everybody points
> at HTTPClient. What do I do?
>
> Many thanks!

[web]  http://www.odi.ch/
[blog] http://www.odi.ch/weblog/
[pgp]  key 0x81CF3416

Re: HttpClient-HttpComponents relationship

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Robert,

Robert Olofsson wrote:
> Roland Weber wrote:
>
>>> BTW, I need to asynchronously get a lot of URLs (using pipelining if
>>> posible), HTTPAsync seems the right thing to use, but everybody points
>>> at HTTPClient. What do I do?
>>

>> Sorry to say, but HttpAsync is in a very early stage of development.
>

> If you need async handling more than you need HttpClient there may
> be some alternatives that you can look at. I suspect that you will have
> to modify them to suit your needs though.

Thanks for the information. But I don't "need" HttpAsync,
I'm developing it :-) Notice my email address? ;-)

cheers,
  Roland

Re: HttpClient-HttpComponents relationship

Posted by Robert Olofsson <ro...@khelekore.org>.
Roland Weber wrote:
>> BTW, I need to asynchronously get a lot of URLs (using pipelining if
>> posible), HTTPAsync seems the right thing to use, but everybody points
>> at HTTPClient. What do I do?
>
> Sorry to say, but HttpAsync is in a very early stage of development.

If you need async handling more than you need HttpClient there may
be some alternatives that you can look at. I suspect that you will have
to modify them to suit your needs though.

Here are two (open source) projects that may be useful:

Grizzly http handler, part of the GlassFish project:
https://glassfish.dev.java.net/

Rabbit, a web proxy that I write, has full nio handling since version
3.0. It has been running on nio since early this year, but the proxy was
started in 1998 so the code is quite stable.
http://www.khelekore.org/rabbit/

Depending on what you want they may or may not work. HttpClient probably
does lots of things automatically (redirects, cookie handling etc) that
you may or may not need.

/robo

Re: HttpClient-HttpComponents relationship

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hello Nicolas,

> BTW, I need to asynchronously get a lot of URLs (using pipelining if
> posible), HTTPAsync seems the right thing to use, but everybody points
> at HTTPClient. What do I do?

Sorry to say, but HttpAsync is in a very early stage of development.
My progress this year was much slower than I had hoped for. If you
want to use something now, you can use the stable HttpClient 3.x or
go with the HttpCore 4.0 alpha. Neither provides built-in pipelining
support. We have refactored the connections in HttpCore to the point
that they can be used for pipelining, so if you're willing to handle
the gory details of multithreading and of request dispatching and of
associating the incoming responses with the correct requests, you're
welcome. We wouldn't mind some feedback on our code either.

If I should make good progress, we may have a SimplePipeliningDispatcher
over a single connection in a few months. But so far, progress was
always slower then I had hoped for, and work on HttpCore has a higher
priority than on HttpAsync.
The SimpleHttpDispatcher is already asynchronous, but not pipelining.
It will see a little refactoring and configurability soon. You could
use it with multiple instances if you're prepared to do the request
dispatching across the instances yourself. The upgrade path to the
simple pipelining version would be smooth, but you have to expect
API changes. HttpAsync is still a long way even from alpha. And I
don't expect to have a non-simple dispatcher, that is one that uses
more than one connection, ready this year.

cheers,
  Roland