Posted to user@sqoop.apache.org by Cyril Bogus <cy...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/09 23:17:16 UTC

varbinary import

Hi,

I am currently running on Sqoop 1.4.3 and Hive 0.10.0

I am trying to run an import all but keep getting the following error

ERROR tool.ImportAllTablesTool: Encountered IOException running import job:
java.io.IOException: Hive does not support the SQL type for column image

After a little research I figured that I had the right sqoop and hive that
would allow the import into hive.

column image is set to varbinary.

Regards.

Re: varbinary import

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi Cyril,
unfortunately Sqoop currently do not supports importing binary columns into Hive, there is JIRA SQOOP-792 [1] to add that support.

You can change your table based import to query based import and use some transformation function to convert content of the column "image" to text (for example base64 or simply a hexa), which will enable Sqoop to continue with the Hive import.

Jarcec

Links:
1: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SQOOP-792