Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com> on 2013/08/15 01:03:41 UTC

[ACTION NEEDED]: protoc 2.5.0 in trunk/branch-2/branch-2.1-beta/branch-2.1.0-beta

Following up on this.

HADOOP-9845 & HADOOP-9872 have been committed
to trunk/branch-2/branch-2.1-beta/branch-2.1.0-beta.

All Hadoop developers must install protoc 2.5.0 in their development
machines for the build to run.

All Hadoop jenkins boxes are using protoc 2.5.0

The BUILDING.txt file has been updated to reflect that protoc 2.5.0 is the
required one and includes instructions on how to use a different protoc
from multiple local versions (using an ENV var). This may be handy for
folks working with Hadoop versions using protoc 2.4.1.

INTERIM SOLUTION IF YOU CANNOT UPGRADE TO PROTOC 2.5.0 IMMEDIATELY

Use the following option with all your Maven commands
 '-Dprotobuf.version=2.4.1'.

Note that this option will make the build use protoc and protobuf 2.4.1.

Though you should upgrade to 2.5.0 at the earliest.

As soon as we start using the new goodies from protobuf 2.5.0 (like the
non-copy bytearrays) 2.4.1 will not work anymore.

Thanks and apologies again for the noise through out this change.

--
Alejandro

Re: [ACTION NEEDED]: protoc 2.5.0 in trunk/branch-2/branch-2.1-beta/branch-2.1.0-beta

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
forgot to add: A big thanks to Rajiv and Giri for helping out with the
changes in the Jenkins boxes.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
On 16 August 2013 02:50, Jun Ping Du <jd...@vmware.com> wrote:

> Hi Tsuyoshi,
>    I just checked Hadoop wiki on HowToContribute and it points
> ProtocolBuffer things to YARN Readme which is already updated to 2.5.0 now.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Junping

I remember spending time on that page trying to document protobuf, it's a
pain to get installed -too bad there isn't a compiler inside the JARs; it
would simplify a lot

When will HBase be in sync with this? Once the 2.1-beta-RC3 is out?

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [ACTION NEEDED]: protoc 2.5.0 in trunk/branch-2/branch-2.1-beta/branch-2.1.0-beta

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Jun Ping Du <jd...@vmware.com>.
Hi Tsuyoshi,
   I just checked Hadoop wiki on HowToContribute and it points ProtocolBuffer things to YARN Readme which is already updated to 2.5.0 now.

Thanks,

Junping

Thanks for sharing! We also need to update Wiki or some documents, don't we?

--
- Tsuyoshi

Re: [ACTION NEEDED]: protoc 2.5.0 in trunk/branch-2/branch-2.1-beta/branch-2.1.0-beta

Posted by Jun Ping Du <jd...@vmware.com>.
Hi Tsuyoshi,

--
- Tsuyoshi

Re: [ACTION NEEDED]: protoc 2.5.0 in trunk/branch-2/branch-2.1-beta/branch-2.1.0-beta

Posted by Jun Ping Du <jd...@vmware.com>.
Hi Tsuyoshi,

--
- Tsuyoshi

Re: [ACTION NEEDED]: protoc 2.5.0 in trunk/branch-2/branch-2.1-beta/branch-2.1.0-beta

Posted by Jun Ping Du <jd...@vmware.com>.
Hi Tsuyoshi,

--
- Tsuyoshi

Re: [ACTION NEEDED]: protoc 2.5.0 in trunk/branch-2/branch-2.1-beta/branch-2.1.0-beta

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.

--
- Tsuyoshi

Re: [ACTION NEEDED]: protoc 2.5.0 in trunk/branch-2/branch-2.1-beta/branch-2.1.0-beta

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.

--
- Tsuyoshi

Re: [ACTION NEEDED]: protoc 2.5.0 in trunk/branch-2/branch-2.1-beta/branch-2.1.0-beta

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.

--
- Tsuyoshi

Re: [ACTION NEEDED]: protoc 2.5.0 in trunk/branch-2/branch-2.1-beta/branch-2.1.0-beta

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.

--
- Tsuyoshi

Re: [ACTION NEEDED]: protoc 2.5.0 in trunk/branch-2/branch-2.1-beta/branch-2.1.0-beta

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Hot dog!

Any chance of the kind soul responsible for keeping up the SNAPSHOTs in
apache maven updating the 2.1.x SNAPSHOT so us downstreamers can move over
sooner rather than later?

Thanks for the work,
St.Ack