Posted to users@groovy.apache.org by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/07 23:21:57 UTC

12.7 million downloads for 2015

Hi again,

As the year ended, I collected the latest download figures from Maven
Central and Bintray.

In 2015, Apache Groovy's been downloaded 12.7 million times!

With about 8 millions from Maven Central and 4.7 millions from Bintray.
Historically, Central represented the biggest chunk, but interestingly, for
the last quarter, the downloads are even between the two.

The total figure above doesn't account for the first quarter numbers from
Codehaus, as Codehaus is no more and I didn't have access to the latest
figures there.
And with Apache, you can also download Groovy from dozens of mirrors
worldwide, and I don't think we can have a consolidated access to those
numbers either AFAIK.

For reference, from memory, we had 4.5 million downloads in 2014, 3
millions in 2013, and 1.7 million in 2012. So that's a big increase!
Clearly, the move to the Apache Software Foundation seems to have sparked
the interest of new Groovy developers.

Let's make 2016 another Groovy year for you all!

Guillaume

--
Guillaume Laforge
Apache Groovy committer & PMC chair

Blog: http://glaforge.appspot.com/
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/114130972232398734985/posts>

Re: 12.7 million downloads for 2015

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
Possible retweets:

https://twitter.com/ApacheGroovy/status/685221764880818177 (can be
retweeted saying Follow @ApacheGroovy on Twitter)
https://twitter.com/ApacheGroovy/status/683350163738497029
https://twitter.com/ApacheGroovy/status/685397052373757952
https://twitter.com/glaforge/status/685214350588657664
Perhaps this one too
https://twitter.com/ApacheGroovy/status/685215761800007681

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
Now... how is this all working?
Who's handling the Apache blog, who would be writing something...
I'm totally new to all this :-)

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Sure! :)

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
On the Apache blog?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
w00t!!!

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 11:21 PM, Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...Clearly, the move to the Apache Software Foundation seems to have sparked
>> the interest of new Groovy developers....
>
> Very happy to hear that, thanks for reporting!
>
> I suppose the project sustainability that the ASF fosters makes a big
> difference for a programming language.

Indeed!
Developers trust the ASF, and more confident when a project is there.

Btw I've added those numbers in the Apache Board report.

Guillaume

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Søren Berg Glasius <so...@glasius.dk>.
Hi Guillaume,

Very impressive numbers indeed! Groovy 2016 here we come!

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen,
Søren Berg Glasius

Hedevej 1, Gl. Rye, 8680 Ry, Denmark
Mobile: +45 40 44 91 88, Skype: sbglasius