Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Sebastien Sahuc <ss...@imediation.com> on 2000/12/04 17:25:17 UTC

[Xerces1.2.2][XMLSChema]

Hello,

Just to let you know that I get a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError (it looks like
it goes into an inifite loop before reaching it memory limit.) when I
replace any <group> statement with a <all> statement.

If you need more detail on my original document and code, I'll be pleased to
send them to who ever express interest.

Sebastien

Re: [Xerces1.2.2][XMLSChema]

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Sebastien Sahuc wrote:
> Just to let you know that I get a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError (it looks
> like it goes into an inifite loop before reaching it memory limit.)
> when I replace any <group> statement with a <all> statement.

Let me guess, you have 7 or more elements in your <all>...

This is an inherent problem with the <all> model because it's
a factorial problem. Consider: a & b & c (old SGML syntax). This
is equivalent to the following: (a,b,c) | (a,c,b) | (b,a,c) |
(b,c,a) | (c,a,b) | (c,b,a). So it's really 3! == 6 sequences
of 3 elements. If you do the math for 7! (or higher) I think
you'll see the problem.

Our current content model code can only handle sequences and
choices, so the <all> gets expanded to all of its permutations.
You're more than welcome to come up with some code to fix this
problem that handles the <all> in a more efficient manner. But
at the moment, this is lower priority than other items.