Posted to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Web Maestro Clay <th...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/12 02:07:13 UTC

Mailing List Archives (was Re: Batik business)

On May 11, 2006, at 2:33 PM, Web Maestro Clay wrote:
> On May 11, 2006, at 11:43 AM, Simon Pepping wrote:
>> I just had a look at Batik, because I do not know much about it
>> and as
>> a PMC member I am supposed to know more about it. A visit to Batik's
>> web site did not make me much wiser. It does not tell me who the
>> current committers are. I also noted that the batik-dev and
>> batik-users lists have not been archived on MARC since March 2005.
>>
>> Simon
>
> There is a contributors page[1] linked from the side navigation. We
> are in the process of updating the Batik web site to use Forrest
> (similar to XML Graphics, XML Graphics Commons & FOP).
>
> I was unaware of the mailing list problem, and we should definitely
> look into resolving this problem. Thank you for alerting us! I
> don't know the process of getting the more recent versions added,
> but I'll look into it. If someone knows the process, please don't
> hesitate to chime in!
>
> [1] Batik Contributors
> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/whoAreWe.html

BTW, I found a few Nabble archives listed below. We should consider
adding these to our mail lists page.

BTW, is there any reason why we shouldn't add them? I don't want to
start showing preference for one 'donor' over another. Anyone object
to my adding a link to these Nabble archives to the appropriate
mailing list pages?

We could also add more stuff to gmane using this info:
http://gmane.org/import.php

I'm happy to do this, but I want to make certain it's ok first.

Web Maestro Clay

[1] Nabble batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org archive
http://www.nabble.com/Batik---Users-f351.html

[2] Nabble batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org archive
http://www.nabble.com/Batik---Dev-f350.html

[3] Nabble fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org archive
http://www.nabble.com/FOP---Users-f353.html

[4] Nabble fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org archive
http://www.nabble.com/FOP---Dev-f352.html

[5] Nabble general@xmlgraphics.apache.org archive
http://www.nabble.com/Xml-Graphics---General-f354.html

Web Maestro Clay
the.webmaestro@gmail.com

-- HH Dalai Lama of Tibet

Posted by Web Maestro Clay <th...@gmail.com>.
On May 12, 2006, at 12:07 AM, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> On 12.05.2006 02:07:13 Web Maestro Clay wrote:
>> BTW, is there any reason why we shouldn't add them? I don't want to
>> start showing preference for one 'donor' over another. Anyone object
>> to my adding a link to these Nabble archives to the appropriate
>> mailing list pages?
>
> As you can see on fop-users, many people post to fop-users through
> Nabble rather than through their mail client. It's quite popular
> already
> and I don't see any reason why we shouldn't provide the link.
>
> I'd simply note that the "main" mailing list archives are the mbox
> archives and the mod_mbox archives on the ASF hardware.
> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/mail/
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/

Sounds good. Since SVN is down right now, and I'll be out of town
this weekend, I won't be able to commit changes until next week.

> I assume we'll get full-text search capabilities for mod_mbox during
> summer as part of the Google Summer of Code.

That'll be cool!

Web Maestro Clay
the.webmaestro@gmail.com

-- HH Dalai Lama of Tibet

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 12.05.2006 02:07:13 Web Maestro Clay wrote:
> On May 11, 2006, at 2:33 PM, Web Maestro Clay wrote:
> > On May 11, 2006, at 11:43 AM, Simon Pepping wrote:
> >> I just had a look at Batik, because I do not know much about it
> >> and as
> >> a PMC member I am supposed to know more about it. A visit to Batik's
> >> web site did not make me much wiser. It does not tell me who the
> >> current committers are. I also noted that the batik-dev and
> >> batik-users lists have not been archived on MARC since March 2005.
> >>
> >> Simon
> >
> > There is a contributors page[1] linked from the side navigation. We
> > are in the process of updating the Batik web site to use Forrest
> > (similar to XML Graphics, XML Graphics Commons & FOP).
> >
> > I was unaware of the mailing list problem, and we should definitely
> > look into resolving this problem. Thank you for alerting us! I
> > don't know the process of getting the more recent versions added,
> > but I'll look into it. If someone knows the process, please don't
> > hesitate to chime in!
> >
> > [1] Batik Contributors
> > http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/whoAreWe.html
>
> BTW, I found a few Nabble archives listed below. We should consider
> adding these to our mail lists page.

I've already added links to Nabble on the XML Graphics site:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/mail.html#public_archives

FOP also contains links to Nabble:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/maillist.html

> BTW, is there any reason why we shouldn't add them? I don't want to
> start showing preference for one 'donor' over another. Anyone object
> to my adding a link to these Nabble archives to the appropriate
> mailing list pages?

As you can see on fop-users, many people post to fop-users through
Nabble rather than through their mail client. It's quite popular already
and I don't see any reason why we shouldn't provide the link.

I'd simply note that the "main" mailing list archives are the mbox
archives and the mod_mbox archives on the ASF hardware.
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/mail/
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/

I assume we'll get full-text search capabilities for mod_mbox during
summer as part of the Google Summer of Code.

> We could also add more stuff to gmane using this info:
> http://gmane.org/import.php
>
> I'm happy to do this, but I want to make certain it's ok first.
>
> Web Maestro Clay
>
> [1] Nabble batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org archive
> http://www.nabble.com/Batik---Users-f351.html
>
> [2] Nabble batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org archive