Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Thomas Singer <th...@regnis.de> on 2002/04/03 11:24:39 UTC

Send email from an application

Hello,

sorry, if this question was asked before.

I want our application to send bug reports via email directly to our
support team (if the user approves). If I would build the mail-sending
stuff with JavaMail, I would still need an SMTP-server. Since James has an
SMTP server, the straightforward solution would be to pack JavaMail and
James in the application. But there are too much unused components in
JavaMail and James for this small task. Is there any easier (more
lightweight) solution for this problem?

Best regards,
Thomas Singer

Re: Send email from an application

Posted by Thomas Singer <th...@regnis.de>.
Hello Serge,

I've got JavaMail sending (and receiving) emails. But for that purpose I
need an SMTP server, e.g. James. I thought of following solution:

Use James' SMTP functionality (without listening on port 25!) and
JavaMail's SMTP client and combine them to a *real* lightweight component
to send my email.

Is this easily possible (especially from the technical side of James)?

Tom

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

Posted by tarun <ta...@datainfosys.net>.
well in my case when i had to send the bug report in one case initiallly i
used the asp script on IIS server which will get some parameters from
desktop application which is workin fine but yes u r right u need a web
server for it.

in other case i made a smtp dll (used the connection to SMTP socket and sent
the appropraite SMTP commands alongwith paarmeters) but yes u need to have
resources (a mails server again)...

i think u can send email thru outlook components if u r using windows as an
OS.

Tarundeep Singh Kalra
Project Leader(Server Side Solutions)
Data Infosys Ltd.