Posted to wsrp4j-dev@portals.apache.org by Alexandre-Michael Neubert <al...@edifixio.com> on 2007/08/07 11:02:43 UTC

Questions about WSRP features

Hello All,

First of all I want to apologize in case this isn't the right place, but
since I didn't found any wsrp user mailing list, I will expose my problem
here. Don't hesitate to route me to another mailing list in case I'm wrong.

I use WSRP for a while now and I read the specification carefully, but I
still have some points which are not very clear to me.

More specially, I have two questions:

*	What is the difference between a POP (Producer offered portlet) and
a CCP (Consumer configured portlet)?

The WSRP specification says: "The Portlets a Producer publishes as available
for all Consumers to interact with are called Producer Offered Portlets.
Producer Offered Portlets are pre-configured and not modifiable by
Consumers. If the Producer chooses to expose the Portlet Management
interface, it is allowing Consumers to clone the Portlets offered by the
Producer and customize those cloned Portlets. Such a uniquely configured
Portlet is called a Consumer Configured Portlet"

But, how can I choose to make portlets available to all customers? Is this
configured in the producer? In the portlet itself ?

Can I forbid cloning of my portlets simply by not exposing the Portlet
Management interface?

We did some tests on WSRP4J and it appears that:

*	Before the first request, all exposed portlets are POP
*	After the first request on a portlet, this portlet becomes CCP

Is this correct?

*	We have some trouble with the <portletStateChange> attribute in the
SOAP message. We want to have it positioned to "readWrite", but sometimes
the passed attribute is "cloneBeforeWrite" or "ReadOnly".

Can we ourselves set this attribute? If yes, who is in charge of doing so
(producer or consumer)?

*	Finally, I wonder about the signification of the term "Portlet
preferences". In the JSR 168 portlet specification, portlet preferences are
attributes which can be set and manipulated by the portlet itself.

In the WSRP specification though, portlet preferences are manipulated by the
consumer and producer each time the portlet needs to change its persistent
state.

Although the term portlet preferences is used in both cases, I have the
feeling that this refers not to the same object, does it?

We also did some tests on sample WSRP portlets and it seems that each time a
form is submitted, the persistent state of the portlet needs to be changed.
What is exactly this persistent state and where is it stored? Does this
automatically means that the portlet has to be cloned if several users
access it at the same time?

I know these are a lot of questions, but I couldn't get more information
from the specification and I have hard time to understand all these
concepts.

Thanks a lot,

Regards

Alex