Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Debbie Shapiro <DS...@cardiacscience.com> on 2012/01/10 02:16:47 UTC

Tomcat 7 service not starting

Hello -
I use Tomcat with the Business Intelligence Web Application InetSoft. I am in the process of upgrading our development server to their latest version (11.2). I also upgraded Java from 1.6.0_20 to 1.6.0_30. The upgrade procedure for InetSoft is to replace a couple of jar files, which I have done. But now Tomcat is no longer starting up. I get an Error 1067. The process terminated unexpectedly. Can anyone provide any guidance on where to look for why this is no longer starting up?

Debbie Shapiro
Data Warehouse Manager
Cardiac Science
Office: 425.402.2233

Visit us at www.cardiacscience.com<http://www.cardiacscience.com/>
Suppliers of Cardiac Science, Criticare, Unetixs, Powerheart, Burdick, and Quinton products Part of the Opto Circuits Family

Re: Tomcat 7 service not starting

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 10/01/2012 01:16, Debbie Shapiro wrote:
> Hello -
> I use Tomcat with the Business Intelligence Web Application InetSoft. I am in the process of upgrading our development server to their latest version (11.2). I also upgraded Java from 1.6.0_20 to 1.6.0_30. The upgrade procedure for InetSoft is to replace a couple of jar files, which I have done. But now Tomcat is no longer starting up. I get an Error 1067. The process terminated unexpectedly. Can anyone provide any guidance on where to look for why this is no longer starting up?

What does "update a couple of jar files" refer to?  Tomcat or InetSoft?

Does this procedure also involve updating Tomcat and if so, how did you
do that?

You didn't actually say, but I assume from the error that you are using
Windows.  Did you check the Tomcat log files and find any errors there?

--

[key:62590808]

Re: Tomcat 7 service not starting

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2012/1/10 Caldarale, Charles R <Ch...@unisys.com>:
>> From: Debbie Shapiro [mailto:DShapiro@cardiacscience.com]
>> Subject: Tomcat 7 service not starting
>
>> I also upgraded Java from 1.6.0_20 to 1.6.0_30.
>
> Did you also perhaps change from a 32-bit to a 64-bit JVM (or vice-versa)?  The mode of the JVM must match the mode of the Tomcat service wrapper (tomcat7.exe).

Are you using JRE or JDK?
If JRE then OK, as its path is always the same.

If JDK then you must update service configuration to use the new version of JDK.

What jar files did you replace?
I'd also replace tomcat7.exe and tomcat7w.exe, review configuration
changes [1] and clear all files from work directory.

Do you use tc-native DLL?

What OS it is?

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/migration.html

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

RE: Tomcat 7 service not starting

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Debbie Shapiro [mailto:DShapiro@cardiacscience.com]
> Subject: Tomcat 7 service not starting

> I also upgraded Java from 1.6.0_20 to 1.6.0_30.

Did you also perhaps change from a 32-bit to a 64-bit JVM (or vice-versa)?  The mode of the JVM must match the mode of the Tomcat service wrapper (tomcat7.exe).

 - Chuck

RE: Tomcat 7 service not starting

Posted by Debbie Shapiro <DS...@cardiacscience.com>.
I checked and indeed we can modify the default location for the sree.log. I'm not sure why they don't default these to a log directory, but definitely something I can ask them about. There is a second log it produces that also defaults to this location for the scheduler, but I don't see that in the properties file. I don't think there's any concern for these logs piling up, however. I have an automated process that creates a new file each night and compacts the old one and I do monitor it regularly. The new Windows operating systems may be a bigger deal, but we're starting to configure our servers with secondary disks rather than install the applications to the C: drive. We have run into the Administrator restriction on other applications on different servers already.

Please create a HelpStar ticket for any requests for assistance. This will help us better track your request.
http://helpstar

Debbie Shapiro
Data Warehouse Manager
Cardiac Science
Office: 425.402.2233

Visit us at www.cardiacscience.com

Posted by Debbie Shapiro <DS...@cardiacscience.com>.
I think it might have just been me testing it and restarting it a few times in a row. We do not have it set to automatically restart after failing, but I do have it set to Automatic startup when the server reboots.

Debbie Shapiro
Data Warehouse Manager
Cardiac Science
Office: 425.402.2233

Visit us at www.cardiacscience.com

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 7 service not starting

> what caused it to try to start again repeatedly by itself ?

Pretty much any Windows service can be configured to automatically restart when it terminates.  You have to use the real service console, not tomcat7w.exe, to change that setting.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Visit us at www.cardiacscience.com

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 11/01/2012 07:43, André Warnier wrote:
>>> Writing log to C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
> 7.0.6\webapps\sree\WEB-INF\classes/sree.log
>>> The logging properties is: sree.properties
>
> That is quite a bizarre place for a logfile (in the same location as the
> application's classes ?).  If it really writes a logfile there, this is
> bound to create some problems later on, probably when you least expect
> them.

+1  That location is a really bad one for a log file.

[key:62590808]

Re: Tomcat 7 service not starting

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Visit us at www.cardiacscience.com

Visit us at www.cardiacscience.com

Posted by Debbie Shapiro <DS...@cardiacscience.com>.
I suspect installing the 32-bit Java after the 64-bit Java installation may have had something to do with it, but my Tomcat configuration was pointing to the Program Files and not Program Files (x86), so I don't know if there's some registry setting that was off or something.

InetSoft calls the sree.jar from the web.xml. I don't know anything about why they placed files where they do as this is all vendor coded and I'm just installing as they have directed. However, these are the snippets of the web.xml file where InetSoft is making calls:
  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>replets</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>inetsoft.sree.web.ServletRepository</servlet-class>
    <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
  </servlet>
  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>manager</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>inetsoft.sree.adm.AdmServlet</servlet-class>
  </servlet>
  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>ResourceServlet</servlet-name>
    <display-name>Resource Servlet</display-name>
    <servlet-class>inetsoft.sree.web.jsp.ResourceServlet</servlet-class>
  </servlet>
  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>team</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>inetsoft.sree.web.team.TeamServlet</servlet-class>
  </servlet>
  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>WSServlet</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>com.sun.xml.ws.transport.http.servlet.WSServlet</servlet-class>
  </servlet>

  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>team</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/team</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>replets</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/Reports</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>replets</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/Reports/dashboard/*</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>manager</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/EnterpriseManager</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>ResourceServlet</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/resources</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>WSServlet</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/SoapRepository</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>WSServlet</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/SoapDataService</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>WSServlet</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/PeopleService</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

  <taglib>
    <taglib-uri>sree.tld</taglib-uri>
    <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/lib/sree.jar</taglib-location>
  </taglib>

I have upgraded to Tomcat 7.0.23 now as well. :-)

Debbie Shapiro
Data Warehouse Manager
Cardiac Science
Office: 425.402.2233

Visit us at www.cardiacscience.com

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Tomcat 7 service not starting

Visit us at www.cardiacscience.com

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Debbie,

Posted by Debbie Shapiro <DS...@cardiacscience.com>.
Thank you all for your responses. Combining all the questions and answers into one email...

Hi, are you able to see the log files in the log folder?

Conway

A: Yes, I can see the log files.
> [...]

java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

2012-01-09 16:53:07 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedError occurred during initialization of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

2012-01-09 17:16:20 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedError occurred during initialization of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

2012-01-09 17:17:37 Commons Daemon procrun stdout initializedError occurred during initialization of VM
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

> From: Debbie Shapiro [mailto:DShapiro@cardiacscience.com]
> Subject: Tomcat 7 service not starting

> I also upgraded Java from 1.6.0_20 to 1.6.0_30.

Did you also perhaps change from a 32-bit to a 64-bit JVM (or vice-versa)?  The mode of the JVM must match the mode of the Tomcat service wrapper (tomcat7.exe).

A: It is Windows 64-bit. I installed both 32-bit and 64-bit JVMs.

2012/1/10 Caldarale, Charles R <Ch...@unisys.com>:
>> From: Debbie Shapiro [mailto:DShapiro@cardiacscience.com]
>> Subject: Tomcat 7 service not starting
>
>> I also upgraded Java from 1.6.0_20 to 1.6.0_30.
>
> Did you also perhaps change from a 32-bit to a 64-bit JVM (or vice-versa)?  The mode of the JVM must match the mode of the Tomcat service wrapper (tomcat7.exe).

Are you using JRE or JDK?
If JRE then OK, as its path is always the same.

If JDK then you must update service configuration to use the new version of JDK.

A: It is the JRE only.

What jar files did you replace?

A: These are InetSoft jar files, nothing was replaced or changed on the Tomcat installation.

I'd also replace tomcat7.exe and tomcat7w.exe, review configuration changes [1] and clear all files from work directory.

A: Why would these need to be replaced?
Also, there is nothing in the work directory other than a bunch of directories. The only file I see is in the work\Catalina\localhost\_\org\apache\jsp and there is an index_jsp.class and an index_jsp.java both dated 1/26/2011. So they haven't changed in quite a while.

Do you use tc-native DLL?

A: I don't even understand the question! LOL

What OS it is?
Win 2003 Server R2 SP2 Standard 64-bit

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/migration.html

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

On 10/01/2012 01:16, Debbie Shapiro wrote:
> Hello -
> I use Tomcat with the Business Intelligence Web Application InetSoft. I am in the process of upgrading our development server to their latest version (11.2). I also upgraded Java from 1.6.0_20 to 1.6.0_30. The upgrade procedure for InetSoft is to replace a couple of jar files, which I have done. But now Tomcat is no longer starting up. I get an Error 1067. The process terminated unexpectedly. Can anyone provide any guidance on where to look for why this is no longer starting up?

What does "update a couple of jar files" refer to?  Tomcat or InetSoft?

A: InetSoft only.

Does this procedure also involve updating Tomcat and if so, how did you do that?

A: No, there was no change required to Tomcat. I am still trying to use the same version as before, which is 7.0.6.

You didn't actually say, but I assume from the error that you are using Windows.  Did you check the Tomcat log files and find any errors there?

A: Yes, Win 2003 Server (described above more detail).
A: Yes, there are some errors in the Tomcat log files, displayed above.

Debbie Shapiro
Data Warehouse Manager