Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2004/02/24 20:58:38 UTC

Gump project infrastructure needs

Dear Infrastructure folks,

I could have made several requests in bugzilla, but since things are
coupled to each other I thought I'd use a single mail.  Please shout
if this is not the appropriate form.

As you know the former Apache Jakarta Gump has now become Apache Gump
and this is a list of things that need to be done.  It most probably
is incomplete, we'll come back and ask for more later ;-)

Unix group
==========

First of all, we need a Unix group for the Gump project (and we
suggest "gump" as the name).  The initial members should be the
initial PMC members:

       * Adam Jack <aj...@apache.org>
       * Davanum Srinivas <di...@apache.org>
       * Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>
       * Martin van den Bemt <mv...@apache.org>
       * Nick Chalko <ni...@apache.org>
       * Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>
       * Scott Sanders <sa...@apache.org>
       * Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>
       * Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>

gump.apache.org
===============

Please create a virtual host on minotaur for it, the website directory
should be writable by the gump group.

We'll most likely want to ProxyPass in build results from moof or one
of the new boxes later.  Can we do that in .htaccess?  If so, is that
the preferred way or should we ask here so infrastructure is
completele aware of what we are doing?

Mailing Lists
moderators and subscriber lists should remain the same.

We'd like to see the eyebrowse archives of general@gump to contain
everything that has been sent to gump@jakarta.  It would be nice if
mails sent to gump@jakarta could be forwarded to general@gump for a
while.

Source Control
==============

We'll stick with CVS for now and keep our "open for all committers"
policy.  Please rename jakarta-gump to gump and keep the group
ownership and avail file info as they are so that everybody can
commit.

commit mails should go to general@gump for now.

Please note that there is a symlink inside the jakarta-alexandria
module (proposal/gump) that needs to be adapted.

Many Thanks

     Stefan

Re: Gump project infrastructure needs

Posted by Antoine Lévy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com>.
Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 08:58:38PM +0100, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>> Unix group
>> ==========
>>
>> First of all, we need a Unix group for the Gump project (and we
>> suggest "gump" as the name).  The initial members should be the
>> initial PMC members:
>>
>>       * Adam Jack <aj...@apache.org>
>>       * Davanum Srinivas <di...@apache.org>
>>       * Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>
>>       * Martin van den Bemt <mv...@apache.org>             * Nick
>> Chalko <ni...@apache.org>
>>       * Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>
>>       * Scott Sanders <sa...@apache.org>       * Stefan Bodewig
>> <bo...@apache.org>
>>       * Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>
>

> There's already a group called gump. Is it being used for anything?

Hi,

I would like to be also in  the gump group.

Is this already existing group called gump local to moof.apache.org ? or
is it Apache wide ?

Antoine

Re: Gump project infrastructure needs

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004, Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com> wrote:

> commit mails are still going to gump-cvs@apache.org

I think that is OK since gump-cvs is an alias for general@gump.

Stefan

cvs commit mails was: Gump project infrastructure needs

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
Nick Chalko wrote:

> commit mails are still going to gump-cvs@apache.org

If we want them to go to general@gump.apache.org  I will as
infrastructure to fix it.

Re: Gump project infrastructure needs

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On Feb 24, 2004, at 19:12, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>>> we figured that since we were open to all committers
>>
>> Have you thought about separating GUMP the project from the ASF's GUMP
>> related meta-data?
>
> Yes, allowing Gump core to be in SVN & metadata to remain in CVS. Then
> (if I
> recall) we figured one step at a time...

I think there is a lot of value in making sure that Gump is felt like a
tool for everybody and for this reason, we must be open to anyone and
with the lowest possible barrier, both on the code and on the metadata.

--
Stefano.

Re: Gump project infrastructure needs

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> > we figured that since we were open to all committers
>
> Have you thought about separating GUMP the project from the ASF's GUMP
> related meta-data?

Yes, allowing Gump core to be in SVN & metadata to remain in CVS. Then (if I
recall) we figured one step at a time...

regards,

Adam

RE: Gump project infrastructure needs

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> we figured that since we were open to all committers

Have you thought about separating GUMP the project from the ASF's GUMP
related meta-data?

	--- Noel

Re: Gump project infrastructure needs

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> > We'll stick with CVS for now
>
> Just curious: why?

In short, we figured that since we were open to all committers we ought wait
until all (or most) committers were SVN conversant. That and other thought
were in this thread, if this isn't self explanatory.

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=gump@jakarta.apache.org&by=thread&from=649090

Basically, much as we'd be game to move to SVN for ourselves, we didn't want
to put any barriers in front of the wider community (for them managing their
own metadata.)

regards,

Adam

Re: Gump project infrastructure needs

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 20:58, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
[...]
> gump.apache.org
> ===============
>
> Please create a virtual host on minotaur for it, the website directory
> should be writable by the gump group.
>
> We'll most likely want to ProxyPass in build results from moof or one
> of the new boxes later.  Can we do that in .htaccess?  If so, is that
> the preferred way or should we ask here so infrastructure is
> completele aware of what we are doing?

I'd like the latter, since this is going to be fairly permanent.

[...]
> Source Control
> ==============
>
> We'll stick with CVS for now

Just curious: why?

>  and keep our "open for all committers"
> policy.  Please rename jakarta-gump to gump and keep the group
> ownership and avail file info as they are so that everybody can
> commit.

Sander

Re: Gump project infrastructure needs

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
First of all, thanks!

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 08:58:38PM +0100, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>>Please note that there is a symlink inside the jakarta-alexandria
>>module (proposal/gump) that needs to be adapted.
>
> Done. But, why a symlink rather than CVSROOT/modules?

I'm not sure, let's say historical reasons.

At one point Gump was a proposal inside Alexandria.  When it moved
out, the symlink was created to keep old checked out stuff working.
AFAIU modules would have worked, but the symlink probably looked like
the easiest solution then.

Given that the alexandria project is on its way to retirement, I'm not
sure that there is any reason to change things now.  I wouldn't object
either.

Stefan

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

>>> Done
>>
>> Where did it move to ?
>
> It's now called "gump".

could you update /home/anoncvs as well?

[lsimons@lsd /data3/gump/cvs/jakarta-gump]$ cvs up -Pd
? dostuff
cvs server: Updating .
cvs server: cannot open directory /home/cvspublic/gump: No such file or
directory
cvs server: skipping directory

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Re: Gump project infrastructure needs

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.
On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 07:46:51PM -0800, Nick Chalko wrote:
>Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
>

>>>Source Control
>>>==============
>>

>>Done