Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> on 2005/06/14 00:38:04 UTC

Harmony site now up http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/

I took the liberty of throwing together a simple site for Harmony.

   http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/

I based it on the simple ant + velocity style using simple xdoc
documentation.  I chose this because it's *very* simple and
lightweight.  We want this to be as accessible as possible to people.

To get it :

  svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/harmony/standard/site

and then to build, you need ant installed,  (http://ant.apache.org/)
and just type "ant"

The docs are in xdoccs, the result to docs, and that's it.  The nav
is defined in xdocs/stylesheets/project.xml

If people don't like this, we'll throw it away and do something else,
but my objective was simple, lightweight, fast and easy to get
started with.

What it needs :

1) We need a small graphic of the style of

   http://geronimo.apache.org/images/geronimo-logo.png

but with "Apache Harmony" obviously, and the incubator website above.

2) More content everywhere.  I was very skimpy on stuff, just trying
to get it up there, and am happy to take any patches someone wants to
do.

-0-

You may notice that the harmony SVN is now divided into "harmony/
standard" and "harmony/enchanced", the first for "standard" ASF IP
oversight rules and the latter for the still-to-be-worked-out
enhanced rules that we started discussing last week.

I'll put out a note on this later, but the upshot is that we can
start working in harmony/standard w/ our standard ICLA, for things
like the website, docs, and projects people want to start working
on.  All of this code will be considered "tainted", but it doesn't
matter for things like the website, and things we want to start
working on can be here as well while we work out the enhanced IP rules.

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: JSR277 (Modules)

Posted by J Aaron Farr <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 6/15/05, Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> I've been wanting this since 1998 when we started the Avalon project...
> if I knew I should have waited 10 years, probably I would have written
> my own language ;-)

Some of it actually materialized in Avalon before its meltdown.  That
work (the 'repository' API) is now in DPML's Transit project [1] and
is worth a look.

--
  jaaron

[1] http://www.dpml.net/transit/latest/index.html

Re: JSR277 (Modules)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Jun 15, 2005, at 10:08 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2005, at 7:58 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>

>> well, "you" because "we" have nobody in the EG yet ;-)
>>

> I'm on the EG.

Um, check that.  Was pre-coffee, and I thought you meant something else.

I've applied to have the ASF as a member of the EG.  let me know if
you are interested in participating.  I've already heard from Brett
from Maven, so we'll have more than one project at the ASF interested
in this, which is good.

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: JSR277 (Modules)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: JSR277 (Modules)

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Doug Lea wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> do you plan to add support for class versioning?
>

> Wrong question! :-) "do WE plan..." Harmony is an Apache
> project. Apache is a JCP member, and ought to have a rep
> on this EG.

well, "you" because "we" have nobody in the EG yet ;-)

> But yes, versioning support is in the proposal.

cool, this is very much needed.

>> how does this impact service frameworks like OSGi and friends?
>
> The idea is to learn from OSGi etc to put together something
> better (but as compatible as reasonably possible) that can benefit from
> JVM and language support.

nice.

Re: JSR277 (Modules)

Posted by Doug Lea <dl...@cs.oswego.edu>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> do you plan to add support for class versioning?

Wrong question! :-) "do WE plan..." Harmony is an Apache
project. Apache is a JCP member, and ought to have a rep
on this EG.

But yes, versioning support is in the proposal.

> how does this impact service frameworks like OSGi and friends?

The idea is to learn from OSGi etc to put together something
better (but as compatible as reasonably possible) that can benefit from
JVM and language support.

-Doug

Re: JSR277 (Modules and the OSGi)

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Enrico Migliore wrote:

>   All new releases of the OSGi framework are, by design, back
> compatible with
>   the previous versions. Therefore, as far as the OSGi framework is
> concerned,
>   the adoption or not of the JSR277 by Sun will be a problem of the
> OSGi consortium.

Well, it could be somewhat of a problem if Sun defines something that is
in some way intrinsically incompatible with OSGi or, perhaps worse, just
defines the same thing but does it differently. In either case, two
incompatible module systems for Java will exist and will compete with
each other.

If JSR 277 is built into Java 7, well, I would assume that it will be
the one that gets used...certainly by any future Harmony.

Of course, some projects like Eclipse, might feel a little irked after
adopting OSGi as a module system, since there was no alternative and
OSGi already exists and works.

Regardless, it is too early to know how this will all play out.

-> richard

Re: JSR277 (Modules and the OSGi)

Posted by Enrico Migliore <en...@fatti.com>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> do you plan to add support for class versioning?
>>
>> how does this impact service frameworks like OSGi and friends?
>>

> That is a good question. So far, the JSR does not comment on OSGi R4,
> which basically addresses all of the issues raised. Perhaps it is not
> mentioned because it is not publicly released yet, but Sun is a member
> of OSGi, so they know what is coming.
>
> It is a very interesting development to say the least.
>
> -> richard

Hi,

   All new releases of the OSGi framework are, by design, back
compatible with
   the previous versions. Therefore, as far as the OSGi framework is
concerned,
   the adoption or not of the JSR277 by Sun will be a problem of the
OSGi consortium.

 Enrico

Re: JSR277 (Modules)

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: JSR277 (Modules)

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

JSR277 (Modules)

Re: Harmony site now up http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/

Posted by Ahmed Saad <my...@gmail.com>.
isn't JIRA enough?

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
Why?  It's like banging rocks together compared to JIRA....

geirm@apache.org

Re: Harmony site now up http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: Harmony site now up http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/

Posted by Mark Wielaard <ma...@klomp.org>.

Posted by theUser BL <th...@hotmail.com>.
>I'll help you through it.  Because the image is your creation, I'd  like to
>see you submit as a contribution via JIRA.

Thanks for it. :-)

I will doing it later.
I have already tried it out now. But on this computer I have not the right
to save my images on disk. So that I can not load it on JIRA up now.
But I will doing it later.

Thanks again for your describtion.

Greatings
theuserbl

Re: Harmony site now up http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Jun 18, 2005, at 12:34 PM, theUser BL wrote:

>> Would you mind submitting the harmony logo, and the incubator logo
>> in  JIRA so we can use them?
>>
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY
>>

> Hmmm... I have me now registered there. But I don't know, how to do
> it.
> Do you mean to write a comment there like "uploading these
> images: ..." or what?
>
> I have no expereince with it. Neither with Jira nor with Bugzilla.
>
> So I would be happy, if anybody other would doing it.

I'll help you through it.  Because the image is your creation, I'd
like to see you submit as a contribution via JIRA.

1) Go to the JIRA

   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY

3) Click on "Create New Issue"

4) Make sure Project is "Harmony and choose issue type
"Improvement".  Click "Next"

5) Put in summary : "Contribution of image for website" or something
like that.  skip the rest and add a description if you want

6) Click "Create" at the bottom.  That will create the issue.

7)  Then, when the page redraws, click "Attach file" (under
Operations on the left side...)

8) Click "Choose file" to find the file and then choose one of the
two options for attachment. Adda  comment if you wish and then click
"Attach"

That's all!

Thanks!

geir