Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Angela Cymbalak <a....@nechtan.org> on 2008/05/06 17:51:19 UTC

draft proposal for Caitrin

I have started writing the draft of the proposal for Caitrin which is
the photo gallery software I had mentioned a few weeks ago.  As I was
writing the proposal it has become more clear to me that what I have
is code and not a community, although I believe a community can be
built around the project.  There was also a mention on the Roller
mailing list a while ago with a suggestion to add this functionality
into Roller.  However, I think that this type of application has
merit to stand on its own because it can be used so many places.

Should I continue down the road of writing the proposal, knowing I
have no community to offer, just code or should I join the Roller
community, contribute the code there and then try to spin off a
larger project later?  I'd really appreciate some feedback from the
incubator community on this.  The Caitrin proposal it at
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CaitrinProposal

Thanks,
Angie

RE: draft proposal for Caitrin (Photo Gallery Software)

Posted by Angela Cymbalak <a....@nechtan.org>.
+1

I am completely willing to toss my code aside as things start moving
along (or even before).  As for the name, I needed a name and found
one.  But, Noel had a good idea for a different name.  Still working
with it but I like it. :-)

Angie

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Angela Cymbalak <a....@nechtan.org>.
Luciano,

I would welcome the help and the interest is great.  As this isn't
currently open source, I don't have a mail list to direct you
to.  However, feel free to chime in on the Caitrin proposal on the
incubator wiki with additional features you would like to see.  If
there are more people interested in contributing, I may set up a list
so that discussions don't get started too much on the general list.

Angie

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Angela Cymbalak <a....@nechtan.org>.
Noel,

Re: Single committer podlings (was Re: draft proposal for Caitrin)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Roland Weber wrote:
>> Fair enough. The Proposal Guide says "Apache is interested
>> only in communities." but that is not policy.
>
> The Incubator exists to build communities.  :-)

guides offer guidance not policy

- robert

re: Single committer podlings (was Re: draft proposal for Caitrin)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> On 5/6/08, Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> wrote:
>>  I think the Roller option makes more sense. I doubt that
>>  a podling without three committers would even be accepted.
>
> Not true, it is even one of the options on the table when starting a
> new project. Start without any committer, and grow the community
> through meritocracy. Everybody starts anew in this scenario.

Fair enough. The Proposal Guide says "Apache is interested
only in communities." but that is not policy.

> This
> scenario just doesn't work well for established open source projects
> joining the ASF as they typically already have folks with a lot of
> merit in their team.
>
> However, starting without committers is a really hard thing. You have
> to publicize the heck out of it.

And spend a lot of time learning about "The Apache Way".
Getting the podling up to speed is no small task for a
single person, even if mentors help with it.

>>  Since there are interested people at Roller, you have a chance
>>  to grow the community there.
>
> I think that one of the goals of the incubator is to grow podlings to
> the point that they can manage themselves.

I'm concerned about the starting point from which to grow.
Apache committers have the Labs to get started and attract
a few interested people before coming to the Incubator.
A non-committer coming to the Incubator directly faces a
really steep learning curve.

cheers,
   Roland

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 5/6/08, Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> wrote:
>  I think the Roller option makes more sense. I doubt that
>  a podling without three committers would even be accepted.

Not true, it is even one of the options on the table when starting a
new project. Start without any committer, and grow the community
through meritocracy. Everybody starts anew in this scenario. This
scenario just doesn't work well for established open source projects
joining the ASF as they typically already have folks with a lot of
merit in their team.

However, starting without committers is a really hard thing. You have
to publicize the heck out of it.

>  Since there are interested people at Roller, you have a chance
>  to grow the community there.

I think that one of the goals of the incubator is to grow podlings to
the point that they can manage themselves. If the goal of this podling

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Angie,