Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Paul Sutton <pa...@ukweb.com> on 1997/05/15 18:42:48 UTC

AOLpress BROWSE method

AOLpress is a fairly reasonable web page editor. However it seems to use a
new HTTP method, BROWSE, to get a list of available files from the server
for some operations. I've had a few queries from Apache Week readers about
the potential for BROWSE support in Apache.

I've looked at the AOLPress site (www.aolpress.com) and can see no
documentation on BROWSE itself, so my normal reply is that this is a
proprietary AOL extension, and unless they document it there is unlikely
to be an implementation of it for Apache.

But it did start me thinking (uh-oh). AOLpress is _free_, and together
with Apache would make a nice web published environment. It would provide
some competition to FrontPage+IIS. Especially when Apache NT comes along.
So it might be nice to have a patch or module which could implement BROWSE
on Apache.

So, does anyone know anything more about AOL's BROWSE? Any patches already
done, or any documentation for it?

//pcs

Re: AOLpress BROWSE method

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Thu, 15 May 1997, Paul Sutton wrote:

> So, does anyone know anything more about AOL's BROWSE? Any patches already
> done, or any documentation for it?

I have looked, but have also been unable to find anything on it.  I
thought they also had a couple of other proprietary methods.

Somewhere on their web pages they claim that BROWSE is a "standard HTTP
method".  In their dreams perhaps...