Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "mark (at) edgewire" <ma...@edgewire.sg> on 2009/09/15 07:52:55 UTC

[users@httpd] RE: apache and apple quicktime

Hi all,

We have a XSAN storage which is attached to an xserve running apache2.
We have noticed that the disk reads have dropped by 80% when we are
streaming quicktime files which are still being written to disk across
the local network via http. However, if we are streaming the same file
which has finished writing to the disk, we are seeing disk read speeds
of up to 80MB/s whereas if the file was still being written to disk
and read at the same time, the speeds drop to 13MB/s. Is there a
setting on apache which may cause this behavior?

Best regards,

Mark

Re: [users@httpd] RE: apache and apple quicktime

Posted by "mark (at) edgewire" <ma...@edgewire.sg>.
Hi Andre,

This is for a broadcast facility where the editors do want to preview
the media as it is coming into the XSAN, thus the reading back of the
quicktime .mov file while it is still being written/ingested into the
system. The part which eludes me at this moment is that running the
exact same setup but via the afp protocol does not seem to reproduce
this problem and which leads me to think that it's the way the apache
server interacts with the XSAN. Certainly at this time, any bit of
information would greatly help.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Mark