Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr> on 2008/06/27 11:30:59 UTC

[VOTE] Release 2.0.M2

Hi,

After a lot of package reorganisation, look like it's the moment for
releasing 2.0M2.

Here you can see the list of FIXED issues since M1 and the one still
OPEN :

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel

This release is not a stable one, some API change will probably occurs
like ByteBuffers, sendFile(), but it will help to get more feed back for
about last changes.

Julien,

Now let's vote !
[ ]: +1, Release MINA 2.0-M1
[ ]: 0, Abstain
[ ]: -1, Don't release MINA 2.0-M1

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.0.M2

Posted by Mark Webb <el...@gmail.com>.
[ X]: +1, Release MINA 2.0-M1

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.0.M2

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 11:30:59 +0200
Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After a lot of package reorganisation, look like it's the moment for
> releasing 2.0M2.
>
> Here you can see the list of FIXED issues since M1 and the one still
> OPEN :
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel
>
> This release is not a stable one, some API change will probably occurs
> like ByteBuffers, sendFile(), but it will help to get more feed back
> for about last changes.
>
> Julien,
>
> Now let's vote !
> [ ]: +1, Release MINA 2.0-M1
> [ ]: 0, Abstain
> [ ]: -1, Don't release MINA 2.0-M1

+1,
I keep in mind we need to find a way to provide the correct signed
jar in the future for better review process.

Julien

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.0.M2

Posted by Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org>.
Julien Vermillard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After a lot of package reorganisation, look like it's the moment for
> releasing 2.0M2.
>
> Here you can see the list of FIXED issues since M1 and the one still
> OPEN :
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel
>
> This release is not a stable one, some API change will probably occurs
> like ByteBuffers, sendFile(), but it will help to get more feed back for
> about last changes.
>
> Julien,
>
> Now let's vote !
> [ ]: +1, Release MINA 2.0-M1
> [ ]: 0, Abstain
> [ ]: -1, Don't release MINA 2.0-M1

+1

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release 2.0.M2

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
> The release is done, now I wait for mirror to update,
> I placed the tarballs here temporary, if you want to check signature
> files :
> http://people.apache.org/~jvermillard/2.0.0-M2/
>
> Julien

Thanks, Julien !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release 2.0.M2

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.
On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 13:14:37 +0200
"Niklas Gustavsson" <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Julien Vermillard
> <jv...@archean.fr> wrote:
> > The release is done, now I wait for mirror to update,
> > I placed the tarballs here temporary, if you want to check signature
> > files :
> > http://people.apache.org/~jvermillard/2.0.0-M2/
>
> Looks good, could we also verify the Maven artifacts?
>
> /niklas

yes, they was automatically uploaded to maven repo.

Julien

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release 2.0.M2

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release 2.0.M2

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release 2.0.M2

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Julien Vermillard wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 11:30:59 +0200
> Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> After a lot of package reorganisation, look like it's the moment for
>> releasing 2.0M2.
>>
>> Here you can see the list of FIXED issues since M1 and the one still
>> OPEN :
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel
>>
>> This release is not a stable one, some API change will probably occurs
>> like ByteBuffers, sendFile(), but it will help to get more feed back
>> for about last changes.
>>
>> Julien,
>>
>> Now let's vote !
>> [ ]: +1, Release MINA 2.0-M1
>> [ ]: 0, Abstain
>> [ ]: -1, Don't release MINA 2.0-M1
>>

> Closing the vote :
>
> Binding +1 :
> - Emmanuel Lecharny
> - Niklas Gustavsson
> - Mark Webb
> - Mike Heath
> - Julien Vermillard
>
> Let's start the release monkey job ;)

A good timing to check that we have signed the distribs correctly !
> Julien

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release 2.0.M2

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.0-M2

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:47:53 +0200
Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> wrote:

> Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Julien Vermillard
> > <jv...@archean.fr> wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, very true, the problem is for producing all the artifact,
> >> actually it's a few hours (last time it took me half a day) for
> >> generate and verify everything (signature files, reports,
> >> binaries, etc..).
> >
> > Yeah, it's a pain. However, since we need to review them before the
> > release, it's probably better for one person to go through the
> > process rather than all voters.
> >
> IMHO, we should do what is necessary to get the candidate release
> being testable :
> - rev number given
> - binary prepared
> - branch created
>
> But when  it comes to signature, reports, etc, this is a little bit
> overkilling. If the release is not done correctly, because we have
> produced the wrong signatures, then we do another release. As soon as
> we are able to test the binaries, we should be ok.
> >
> >> Perhaps we should do a two stage vote, one for saying current
> >> branch is ok for releasing, then if it's accepted, someone do the
> >> tedious release dry-run job, and a second vote for reviewing the
> >> related artifacts.
> >
> > I don't think we need a formal +1/0/-1 vote for the first decision,
> > a discussion thread would probably be sufficient.
> >
> I agree. Or we would soon vote to launch a vote :)

I'm trying to do a dry run release for creating tarballs and not
snapshot jars. There is this kind of feature in maven ?
Because simply running "mvn -DdryRun=true release:prepare" doesn't
create the jar.
Any idea ?

Julien

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.0-M2

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.0-M2

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.0-M2

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 13:46:58 +0200

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.0-M2

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> wrote:
> I would suggest we update the following page :
> http://mina.apache.org/developer-guide.html#DeveloperGuide-ReleasingaPointRelease(CommittersOnly)
> with the proposed steps to get a release  ready for review, before the real
> release is done.

Agreed.

/niklas

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.0-M2

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
>> Anyway for the one who prefer binaries :
>> http://people.apache.org/~jvermillard/2.0-M2-SNAPSHOT/
>>

> I'm feeling incredibly annoying today,
Being annoying in this business sounds like being professional :) Some
may find that being bureaucratic, but I think they simply don't
understand what is at stake...
> but having the real release
> candidates would have been the optimal solution. That is, not SNAPSHOT
> builds, RAT report and including hash files. For example using the
> Maven staging support. Anyways, let's do that for the next release.

I would suggest we update the following page :
http://mina.apache.org/developer-guide.html#DeveloperGuide-ReleasingaPointRelease(CommittersOnly)
with the proposed steps to get a release  ready for review, before the
real release is done.

Thanks Niklas, and thanks Julien for having been responsive !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.0-M2

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.0-M2

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 13:10:14 +0200

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.0-M2

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.0-M2

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:50:15 +0200
"Niklas Gustavsson" <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Julien Vermillard
> <jv...@archean.fr> wrote:
> >> Now let's vote !
>
> What are we voting for? Are we voting for doing a release at all or on
> the release as such? If the latter, could we have a tag and binary to
> review? If the former, hell yeah, I want M2 as soon as possible ;-)
>
> /niklas

Ha yep sorry,

Revision 67224

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.0-M2

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.0-M2

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
> [X]: +1, Release MINA 2.0-M2

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.0-M2

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 11:30:59 +0200
Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After a lot of package reorganisation, look like it's the moment for
> releasing 2.0M2.
>
> Here you can see the list of FIXED issues since M1 and the one still
> OPEN :
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRMINA?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel
>
> This release is not a stable one, some API change will probably occurs
> like ByteBuffers, sendFile(), but it will help to get more feed back
> for about last changes.
>
> Julien,
>
> Now let's vote !
> [ ]: +1, Release MINA 2.0-M1