Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Scott Purcell <sp...@vertisinc.com> on 2005/03/25 16:41:05 UTC

Tomcat 3x to 5-5.7

I just installed Tomcat 5-5.7 and used the installer on a PC. It installed and all is good. I went to the manager and poked around.

I need to create a new web application (it is not a war). So I have a directory that I am ready to drop into the /webapps directory.

Before I do this, I have a few questions.
a) Can I just drop this in and restart? Or what procedure do I need here? Do I need to restart?

b) I need to edit the server.xml for this application and add some DBCP stuff, where does this live now?

c) What is the best way to start and stop this, using the interface?

d) I read that the application can live elsewhere on the disks? Was this a mis-read? It would be cool if I could configure my webapp to work with my CVS/

Any advice upon getting rolling would be appreciated.

Thanks you

Scott K Purcell | Developer | VERTIS |
555 Washington Ave. 4th Floor | St. Louis, MO 63101 |
314.588.0720 Ext:1320 | spurcell@vertisinc.com | http://www.vertisinc.com <http://www.vertisinc.com/>

Vertis is the premier provider of targeted advertising, media, and
marketing services that drive consumers to marketers more effectively.

Re: Tomcat 3x to 5-5.7

Posted by Steve Lianoglou <li...@arachnedesign.net>.
To setup a webapp outside the tomcat webapp dir, you can drop in a
context.xml file in the:
/path/to/tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/ directory

so, in that dir, if I have a servlet whose path is /myproject

a minimal file (named myproject.xml) looks like this: