Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by aquero <ar...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/04 18:33:24 UTC

spam assassin custom rule sets

Hi,
  When i checked the third party softwares for spam-assassin i found many
custom rule sets. Do I have to install these rule sets manually? If I
perform sa-update, will it will include all these rule sets into my
spam-assassin rules list?

Re: spam assassin custom rule sets

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 07.06.10 10:17, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> And DCC is free as long as you are not making it part of a commercial
> filtering product:
>
>     The non-commercial DCC software is distributed under a license
> <http://www.rhyolite.com/dcc/LICENSE> that is free only to
>     organizations that do not sell filtering devices or services except
> to their own users and
>     that participate in the global DCC network. ISPs that use DCC to
> filter mail for their
>     own users are intended to be covered by the free license
> <http://www.rhyolite.com/dcc/LICENSE>.

Note that you must also be using public DCC network, otherwise you'll need
commercial version. The public DCC servers limit daily usage to 200k
DCC lookups, for more you need own server connected to public network.
While it sounds reasonable, DCC is understood as non-free by Debian Free
Software Guidelines for this.

Re: spam assassin custom rule sets

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.
aquero wrote:
> Bowie Bailey wrote:
>
>> aquero wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>   When i checked the third party softwares for spam-assassin i found many
>>> custom rule sets. Do I have to install these rule sets manually? If I
>>> perform sa-update, will it will include all these rule sets into my
>>> spam-assassin rules list?
>>>
>> Before you start adding a bunch of 3rd party rules, I would reactivate
>> the RBL checks.  Those will catch much more spam than any of the other
>> rulesets.  Also, you definitely want to bump your required_score back to
>> 5 before you start adding more rules.
>>
>> That being said, these are the rules that I use (in addition to the
>> stock rules and RBL lists):
>>
>> razor2
>> dcc
>> sought
>> khop-bl
>> khop-blessed
>> khop-general
>> khop-sc-neighbors
>> Botnet
>> FreeMail
>> iXhash
>>
>> Sought and the khop rules can be updated via sa-update.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions. But in my project i would like to use only free
> rule sets. When i searched about the rules you specified ,razor2 and dcc
> seems to be paid rule sets.Can you please suggest any free alternatives for
> these rules? and I would like to know the minimum cost of these rules?
> Thanks again for your suggestions..:)
Razor2 is free for everyone:

    Razor2 Service Policy V2.0
    March 13, 2006

    Razor2 agents connect to the Cloudmark Collaborative Security
    Network to report spam and check for fingerprints. Cloudmark
    provides free and open access to the CCSN but reserves the right
    to deny access to anyone.

And DCC is free as long as you are not making it part of a commercial
filtering product:

    The non-commercial DCC software is distributed under a license
<http://www.rhyolite.com/dcc/LICENSE> that is free only to
    organizations that do not sell filtering devices or services except
to their own users and
    that participate in the global DCC network. ISPs that use DCC to
filter mail for their
    own users are intended to be covered by the free license
<http://www.rhyolite.com/dcc/LICENSE>.

Pyzor is another service similar to Razor that is also free.

--
Bowie

Re: spam assassin custom rule sets

Posted by aquero <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
On 4.6.2010 19:33, aquero wrote:

> Hi,
>   When i checked the third party softwares for spam-assassin i found many
> custom rule sets. Do I have to install these rule sets manually? If I
> perform sa-update, will it will include all these rule sets into my
> spam-assassin rules list?

sa-update can be parameterised with a "channelfile".

Read this: http://khopesh.com/wiki/Anti-spam

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/
client, please contact me.

There is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
		-- Mark Twain