Posted to dev@aurora.apache.org by Zameer Manji <zm...@apache.org> on 2015/04/20 20:42:29 UTC

Removing locks for Crons

Folks,

As I mentioned on our IRC meeting today, I want to remove locks for cron
jobs. All cron operations are atomic (create, update, kill, deschedule)
which makes creating locks unnecessary. Locks currently mean that if there
is a failed operation on a cron job, a user must run `aurora job
cancel-update` to release the lock before attempting again. This is a
pretty poor UX if operations on crons are atomic.

I have filed AURORA-1286 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AURORA-1286> to
track this. Please voice your concerns on this thread or on the ticket.

Bill mentioned on IRC that locks might die out naturally as a result of
removing the client side updater but I would like to get this change done
earlier.

--
Zameer Manji

Re: Removing locks for Crons

Posted by Zameer Manji <zm...@apache.org>.
Yes, the client should not secure a lock for any cron related operation
since all of them (including update) are atomic.

--
Zameer Manji

Re: Removing locks for Crons

Posted by Bill Farner <wf...@apache.org>.