Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Br...@maxateev.com on 2001/08/22 06:43:48 UTC

memory usage in tomcat

I am running a Web-Service, deployed on Apache-Tomcat. Scope of deployment
is Request and it is requirement also. I an facing one memory problem as
Tomcat memory utilization is increasing very fast (10MB to 400MB in just 4
hours). My application is getting crashed due to this.

I would really appreciate for help.

Thanks in advance

Brajendra Singh
Software Engineer
Max Ateev Limited

Re: memory usage in tomcat

Posted by Mangala Gowri Nanda <ma...@yahoo.com>.
This is really a java question - how do you determine what is the
memory usage of the service ? For example, how did you know the memory
usage increased by 5MB for each call ? What happens when you have a
multithreaded application (like tomcat) ? How do you determine the
memory usage of each thread (or each instance of a service) ?

Thanks,

Mangala Gowri

--- "Lee J. Willwerth" <lw...@redseaco.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am having a similar problem with my SOAP RPC based application.
> The scope
> of my application is 'Application' (though I have tried 'Request' as
> well) and
> the problem is that the garbage collector isn't destroying objects
> that are
> created once the program is finished with them.  As a result, the
> memory usage
> increases by about 5 Mb for each call (its doing a lot of work for
> each
> call).  If I set the object handles to 'null' and call finalize() on
> them
> prior to returning, this seems to solve the problem but I have to do
> this for
> every object created, not just the 'root' object if you will.  Thus,
> this is
> only practical in my test applications, not the real one where there
> is much
> more going on.  I found this old thread in the archives and it sounds
> similar.  The replies seemed to indicate that the problem was solved
> but not
> how.  I've turned Google upside-down and haven't found anything more
> relevant
> than this post.  I'm hoping that someone out there with more
> experience than
> me has some suggestions that might point me in the right direction.
> Thanks!
>
> Brajendra.Singh@maxateev.com wrote:
>
> > I am running a Web-Service, deployed on Apache-Tomcat. Scope of
> deployment
> > is Request and it is requirement also. I an facing one memory
> problem as
> > Tomcat memory utilization is increasing very fast (10MB to 400MB in
> just 4
> > hours). My application is getting crashed due to this.
> >
> > I would really appreciate for help.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Brajendra Singh
> > Software Engineer
> > Max Ateev Limited
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Lee J. Willwerth
> Redsea Works Co.
> 1-888-891-5707
>
> > begin:vcard
> n:Willwerth;Lee
> tel;cell:1-248-770-9161
> tel;fax:1-248-353-2844
> tel;work:1-888-891-5707
> x-mozilla-html:FALSE
> org:Redsea Works Co.
> version:2.1
> email;internet:lwillwerth@redseaco.com
> adr;quoted-printable:;;29209 Northwestern Highway
> #640=0D=0A;Southfield;MI;48034;USA
> x-mozilla-cpt:;9664
> end:vcard

=====
Insanity is heriditary ...   I inherited it from my kids :-)
C-9113, Vasant Kunj
New Delhi 110070                           Ph: 91-11-6137230

Re: memory usage in tomcat

Posted by Mangala Gowri Nanda <ma...@yahoo.com>.

=====

Re: memory usage in tomcat

Posted by "Lee J. Willwerth" <lw...@redseaco.com>.
Hi,
I am having a similar problem with my SOAP RPC based application.  The scope
of my application is 'Application' (though I have tried 'Request' as well) and
the problem is that the garbage collector isn't destroying objects that are
created once the program is finished with them.  As a result, the memory usage
increases by about 5 Mb for each call (its doing a lot of work for each
call).  If I set the object handles to 'null' and call finalize() on them
prior to returning, this seems to solve the problem but I have to do this for
every object created, not just the 'root' object if you will.  Thus, this is
only practical in my test applications, not the real one where there is much
more going on.  I found this old thread in the archives and it sounds
similar.  The replies seemed to indicate that the problem was solved but not
how.  I've turned Google upside-down and haven't found anything more relevant
than this post.  I'm hoping that someone out there with more experience than
me has some suggestions that might point me in the right direction.  Thanks!

Brajendra.Singh@maxateev.com wrote:

> I am running a Web-Service, deployed on Apache-Tomcat. Scope of deployment
> is Request and it is requirement also. I an facing one memory problem as
> Tomcat memory utilization is increasing very fast (10MB to 400MB in just 4
> hours). My application is getting crashed due to this.
>
> I would really appreciate for help.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Brajendra Singh
> Software Engineer
> Max Ateev Limited

Lee J. Willwerth
Redsea Works Co.
1-888-891-5707

Re: memory usage in tomcat

Posted by "Lee J. Willwerth" <lw...@redseaco.com>.
Hi,
I am having a similar problem with my SOAP RPC based application.  The scope
of my application is 'Application' (though I have tried 'Request' as well) and
the problem is that the garbage collector isn't destroying objects that are
created once the program is finished with them.  As a result, the memory usage
increases by about 5 Mb for each call (its doing a lot of work for each
call).  If I set the object handles to 'null' and call finalize() on them
prior to returning, this seems to solve the problem but I have to do this for
every object created, not just the 'root' object if you will.  Thus, this is
only practical in my test applications, not the real one where there is much
more going on.  I found this old thread in the archives and it sounds
similar.  The replies seemed to indicate that the problem was solved but not
how.  I've turned Google upside-down and haven't found anything more relevant
than this post.  I'm hoping that someone out there with more experience than
me has some suggestions that might point me in the right direction.  Thanks!

Brajendra.Singh@maxateev.com wrote:

> I am running a Web-Service, deployed on Apache-Tomcat. Scope of deployment
> is Request and it is requirement also. I an facing one memory problem as
> Tomcat memory utilization is increasing very fast (10MB to 400MB in just 4
> hours). My application is getting crashed due to this.
>
> I would really appreciate for help.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Brajendra Singh
> Software Engineer