Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Gus Delgado <gu...@netquotient.com> on 2001/01/03 16:45:20 UTC

ebXML, SOAP, and bizTalk

Does anyone know the difference and similarities between these tree
technologies?, Can anyone point me to an article or documentation that
compares any of them?

Re: ebXML, SOAP, and bizTalk

Posted by colin adam <co...@webservices.org>.
A recent article on ebXML, SOAP and Biztalk see...
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/12/20/ebXML.html

"Jon Bosak outlined a vision of the future of web services, as XML as a core
technology, UDDI to find the services we need SOAP to perform the simple
ones ebXML for the most complex ones"

regards
colin
www.webservices.org

Re: ebXML, SOAP, and bizTalk

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
Short answer:

SOAP is a general-purpose XML messaging protocol. (See
http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP/ or http://xml.apache.org/soap/ or
http://msdn.microsoft.com/soap/default.asp) It defines an XML message
envelope, an RPC programming convention, data encoding rules based on XML
Schema, and an HTTP binding. SOAP can be used for a wide variety of
applications, including, but restricted to, B2B ecommerce. W3C is defining a
standard XML messaging protocol (XP), and SOAP is being used as a starting
point for this effort. (see http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/).

BixTalk Framework is a B2B ecommerce framework developed by Microsoft. It
defines "a set of guidelines for how to publish schemas in XML and how to
use XML messages to easily integrate software programs together in order to
build rich new solutions". (see http://www.biztalk.org) BizTalk framework
uses the SOAP message envelope, although it enhances SOAP with a multipart
MIME header. (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/general/soapattachspec.asp)

BizTalk Server is Microsoft's B2B ecommerce server. It conforms to the
BizTalk framework.

ebXML is a B2B ecommerce framework being developed by the international
economic community (UN/CEFACT). "The vision of ebXML is to enable a global
electronic marketplace where enterprises of any size and in any geographical
location can meet and conduct business with each other through the exchange
of XML based messages." (see http://www.ebxml.org) ebXML has defined an XML
messaging protocol (ebXML MS) that uses multipart MIME headers. ebXML MS
does not specify an RPC programming convention. It specifies mechanisms to
ensure quality of service (reliability, security, transactions, etc). ebXML
MS could be implemented using SOAP with multipart MIME headers, although
there are differences between the ebXML MS headers and the SOAP headers.
There is an effort underway to achieve convergence between W3C XP and ebXML.

Regards,
Anne

RE: ebXML, SOAP, and bizTalk