Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by alan milligan <al...@hotmail.com> on 2001/08/31 18:42:38 UTC

Sessions and Postgres

I ope this isn't a repeatedly asked question on this mailing list, but
I am really confused about how to get sessions working for Postgres and
Embperl 2.0b3.

When I set my httpd.conf as follows I get no output generated, nor anything
useful in my error logs:
     PerlSetEnv EMBPERL_SESSION_CLASSES "Postgres Null Storable MD5"
     PerlSetEnv EMBPERL_SESSION_HANDLER_CLASS 'Apache::Session::Postgres'
     PerlSetEnv EMBPERL_SESSION_ARGS "Commit=1"

But if I use:
     PerlSetEnv EMBPERL_SESSION_CLASSES "File Semaphore"
     PerlSetEnv EMBPERL_SESSION_ARGS "/tmp"

everything works fine.  I have also independently tested
Apache::Session::Postgres, and it indeed writes to the sessions table.
Any ideas?

Cheers, Alan

Re: Sessions and Postgres

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> I ope this isn't a repeatedly asked question on this mailing list, but
> I am really confused about how to get sessions working for Postgres and
> Embperl 2.0b3.

This seems to be a more or less FAQ. The problem is that that there are some
issues with locking with Embperl 1.3.3 and 2.0b3 and Postgres. The problem
is solved with a new Session handling module, named Apache::SessionX which I
have implemented in the developement version of 1.3.4. It will soon become
part of the developement version of 2.0b4.

So I suggest use the File store at the moment and switch to the new session
module as soon as it is availabel for 2.0. This module also simplies the
configuration, so you don't have to specify all this parameters manualy.

Gerald