Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tonio <to...@yahoo.com> on 2006/09/25 14:41:09 UTC

Simple revision control for working copy

Hi,

My normal work flow (probably similar to yours :) ) is
to make a number of small changes on the working copy
(saving from IDE each time). Only after a logical unit
of work is done would I commit this to the repository
(e.g. made change X).

I don't want/need to save all these little changes to
the repository each time, but it would be useful to
have a local revision control "cache" for all these
little changes, which I might want to revert to, or
copy some code from.

Probably after each commit to the main repository, I
would want to delete this cache.

Any recommendations for such a system? (i.e. require
simple operations like adding to repository, extract,
without disturbing working of svn)

Thanks
Rael

Re: Simple revision control for working copy

Posted by Ted Dennison <de...@ssd.fsi.com>.
Ted Dennison wrote:
> Sadly, I enabled it through the WIMP interface, but I think the .emacs
> commands for it are:

Of course I missed one. (It was kind of badly named).
> (custom-set-variables
>  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or
> cut/paste it!
>  ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
 '(version-control t)

--
T.E.D.   Work     -  mailto:dennison@ssd.fsi.com
         Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)

Re: Simple revision control for working copy

Posted by Ted Dennison <de...@ssd.fsi.com>.
Tonio wrote:
> I don't want/need to save all these little changes to
> the repository each time, but it would be useful to
> have a local revision control "cache" for all these
> little changes, which I might want to revert to, or
> copy some code from.

VMS used to keep all your old versions of edited files (up to a
user-specified limit) with an extra ";#" appended on the end of the
filename for just this reason. I recently discovered that Emacs has this
functionality, except it uses a ".~#~" extension.

Sadly, I enabled it through the WIMP interface, but I think the .emacs
commands for it are:

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
'(kept-new-versions 5)
 '(kept-old-versions 5))

As you can see from the comment, you need to be careful about doing this
outside of the WIMP interface. :-)

Since Emacs has infinite undo to the last save, I haven't needed to use
this feature to restore old edits a lot. However, its quite handy when
you do need it.

This essentially gives you 3 levels of "cache" for file versions:
Undo/Redo for unsaved edits, your ".~#~" files for saved but uncommitted
edits, and your repository for committed edits.

I don't know about support for this kind of thing in other editors, but
any serious programmer's editor should support the majority of Emacs'
text editing features (or they really shouldn't have bothered developing
it). If yours doesn't have it, you can get Emacs from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/  (prebuilt Windows binaries at
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/ )

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 9/25/06, Tonio <to...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My normal work flow (probably similar to yours :) ) is
> to make a number of small changes on the working copy
> (saving from IDE each time). Only after a logical unit
> of work is done would I commit this to the repository
> (e.g. made change X).
>
> I don't want/need to save all these little changes to
> the repository each time, but it would be useful to
> have a local revision control "cache" for all these
> little changes, which I might want to revert to, or
> copy some code from.
>
> Probably after each commit to the main repository, I
> would want to delete this cache.
>
> Any recommendations for such a system? (i.e. require
> simple operations like adding to repository, extract,
> without disturbing working of svn)

You might want to look into quilt, although it won't version all the
same things svn does (no moves or copies, for example) it will let you
keep multiple sets of changes to a given file organized until you can
commit them to your repository.

-garrett

Re: Simple revision control for working copy

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
On 9/25/2006 10:41 AM, Tonio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My normal work flow (probably similar to yours :) ) is
> to make a number of small changes on the working copy
> (saving from IDE each time). Only after a logical unit
> of work is done would I commit this to the repository
> (e.g. made change X).
>
> I don't want/need to save all these little changes to
> the repository each time, but it would be useful to
> have a local revision control "cache" for all these
> little changes, which I might want to revert to, or
> copy some code from.
>
> Probably after each commit to the main repository, I
> would want to delete this cache.
>
> Any recommendations for such a system? (i.e. require
> simple operations like adding to repository, extract,
> without disturbing working of svn)

The normal way I'd handle this is to create a temporary branch.  It's
not very convenient if it lives for a long time (because of the problem
of merging changes from the trunk), but it lets me collect all the
changes in one place, then merge them into the trunk all at once.

Duncan Murdoch

RE: Simple revision control for working copy

Posted by "Reedick, Andrew" <An...@BellSouth.com>.

Work on a "private" branch.  That way you can check in the little
changes so you can revert to them.  When the work is done, you can merge
(or svn switch) the final versions of the file to the trunk/main branch.

*****

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. GA622