Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Robert S. Thau" <rs...@ai.mit.edu> on 1995/08/17 02:00:57 UTC

Second beta release?

It's been a week since 0.8.8 was publically released, and we've accumulated
a whole bunch of bug fixes, none of which have made it to the users yet.
We still aren't in shape for a "non-beta" release, and there are still
bugs we need to decide how to fix *best* (including both Rob's ScriptAlias
bug and the file-locking business), but all the same, I think it's time
to start distributing the fixes we have.  So, I'm calling for a vote on
distribution of 0.8.9 plus my scoreboard-locking patch, while we decide
what to do about the rest of this stuff.  My vote on the issue is +1...

I'm not going to put anything up immediately, but if we get sufficient
+1s and no vetoes, I'd like to have something up, say, tomorrow evening.

[ If new fixes do appear subsequently, well, the page does say that
  we may be changing things rapidly, so I think we have that option ;-)
  What I really want to avoid is the situation we had with the first
  beta, where we're perpetually holding off for a day or two at a time
  ... ]

rst

Re: Second beta release?

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
If I'm following things right, there are two competing patches for the
solaris hangs (rst vs. drtr?) I'd like to see some resolution on that
before releasing 0.8.9.

Please check out docs/known_bugsnew.html on the web site to see if there's
anything else we want to solve before 0.8.9....

Two other random comments:

1) in my opinion file locking on log files is just plain bad.  I found
this out tonight while setting up some tricky internal web stuff - I want
to have two wholly separate daemons on two separate ports logging to the
same error and access log file, so I don't want to have one trying to
block the other by locking the log files.

2) We noticed that if DocumentRoot was a symlink to a directory somewhere
else, the server died on parsing the httpd.conf complaining that it wasn't
a directory.  In the same vein, we had a need for a DocumentRoot that
might not exist at web server launch time, so we slightly modified
http_core.c to make the DocumentRoot-doesn't-exist condition a warning
instead of a fatal error.  Do others think this is appropriate for apache
to do?

	Brian