Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> on 2005/11/04 20:05:27 UTC

Binary images for Geronimo 1.0?

With Geronimo 1.0 quickly approaching, I think we should talk about
how we would like to package the binaries for release.  This has
downstream impact on tck testing, and since I'm working on the TCK
build right now, I'd like to know what we are going to need to test.
So to get the discussion going, this is what I think would be ideal
and what we need at the minimum:

Ideal:
geronimo-installer: The user can choose between Tomcat and Jetty.
Only the resources for the web server they choose are installed.
geronimo-tomcat.(zip | tgz):  Contains a Tomcat only version of
Geronimo with no Jetty resources.
geronimo-jetty.(zip | tgz):  Contains a Jetty only version of
Geronimo with no unnecessary Tomcat resources.

Minimum:
geronimo-installer: The user can choose between Tomcat and Jetty.
Resources are installed for both, and the installer just sets the
chosen web server to boot by default.
geronimo-tomcat.(zip | tgz):  Contains a full image of Geronimo with
both Tomcat and Jetty resources, but only Tomcat will start by default.
geronimo-jetty.(zip | tgz):  Contains a full image of Geronimo with
both Tomcat and Jetty resources, but only Jetty will start by default.

What do you think?

-dain

Re: Binary images for Geronimo 1.0?

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Continuing from my previous mail with my thoughts on this subject, I was
made aware of atleast 5 apps that are specific to Tomcat and 5 apps to
Jetty. There may be more of these thrown in the mix. These apps show up in
the console list as well.
 So there's more work involved in getting them to show/hide selectively
based on the container. Now that could be another deciding factor that'll
tilt the scale for going with 2 separate binaries.
 Cheers
Prasad

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Binary images for Geronimo 1.0?

Posted by Heinz Drews <he...@gmail.com>.
But if it is difficult to change between the two options it would be
even more difficult to choose the one to start with.

Heinz

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Heinz Drews <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
If footprint with both containers is not a problem, then I like your
"Minimum" scenario with a slight twist. The user has the option to choose.
But if he doesn't (want to) choose, we choose one by default.
 This default chosen one is what we think a majority of users use. This will
help in the rapid out-of-the-box installation of G. This will also help
those users who don't know/care about the containers. But the few who'd
prefer a different container can always specify their choice. This is an
all-inclusive option.
 There should also be documentation on how they can switch to the other
container.
 Now all this looks good provided footprint is not a problem when both the
containers are installed.
 Cheers
Prasad.