Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by DE VITO Dominique <do...@thalesgroup.com> on 2014/08/05 17:19:35 UTC

vnode and NetworkTopologyStrategy: not playing well together ?

Hi,

My understanding is that NetworkTopologyStrategy does NOT play well with vnodes, due to:

*         Vnode => tokens are (usually) randomly generated (AFAIK)

*         NetworkTopologyStrategy => required carefully choosen tokens for all nodes in order to not to get a VERY unbalanced ring like in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-3810

When playing with vnodes, is the recommendation to define one rack for the entire cluster ?

Thanks.

Regards,
Dominique

Re: vnode and NetworkTopologyStrategy: not playing well together ?

Posted by Jeremy Jongsma <je...@barchart.com>.
If your nodes are not actually evenly distributed across physical racks for
redundancy, don't use multiple racks.

Posted by DE VITO Dominique <do...@thalesgroup.com>.
> The discussion about racks & NTS is also mentioned in this recent article : planetcassandra.org/multi-data-center-replication-in-nosql-databases/
>
> The last section may be of interest for you

Thanks DuyHai.

Note that this section is also part of C* anti-patterns http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/2.0/cassandra/architecture/architecturePlanningAntiPatterns_c.html

But I think it's missing some advice for vnodes (something like "due to randomly-generated tokens, define one single rack when using vnodes" ??).

D.

[@@ THALES GROUP INTERNAL @@]

Posted by DuyHai Doan <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by DE VITO Dominique <do...@thalesgroup.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.

Posted by DE VITO Dominique <do...@thalesgroup.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.
* When I say wild imbalance, I do not mean all tokens on 1 node in the
cluster, I really should have said slightly imbalanced

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.